12 January 2014

Houston Museum of Natural Science day

Found out only recently that Houston was selected as one of the first US stops of the Lascaux 3 project.  Since the original cave is in France and is no longer supporting tourist traffic, the second one is also in France but not visited by MOI, I figured I ought to see this one in my own backyard.  On y va!
 Models and plywood board mock ups for Lascaux, please tell me more.  It did get way better.
 A bit of scale for the entry of the cave.  There were more of these but this one was the best photo.  Stupid light at the end of the tunnel breaks.  and iPhone.  real camera would be much better.
 Real and not so real artifacts from Cro Magnon time, 20,000 years ago.
 These are photo proofs on a light board to show parts of the cave.  With all the digital and scanning, it is amazing what a change in lighting does.  For best cinematography the award goes to...
 It had a small replica, of course the full cave is too long to recreate fully.  And with some of the tolerances being like 1.5 meters, most tall folks wouldn't dare enter.  It was amazing and should be visited by many.  Come to Houston if you so desire.  I would go again.  It is traveling to Montreal after Houston so it may not be in your neck of the woods any time soon.
 I haven't back at the MNS since our last go round so checked out the other permanent collections.  Egyptian Hall is astounding.  Everything is on loan but contracts are signed.  It is nicely done with good lighting, amazing loans and even a few mummies.  Since I read the cards I found it interesting that someone (anonymous donor) gave his or her personal mummy.  You read that right.  Personal.
 I love this guy.  Bes or Gorgon the warder of evil spirits.  He is all over the place.
 This is a pretty sweet ring.  I love the Horus Eye.  It is so distinctively Egyptian.
 Ran thru the paleo halls.  Much improved and I must say Smithsonian worthy.  Huge room of petrified woods, skeletons with artistic reproductions of the actual animals.  Bad ass.


 Even some girl I caught in a photo serves as my scale.  Pretty cool.
 These guys are awesome.   I love the long skinny neck.
 Huge tortoises.  all kinds of skeletons, telling you get to the museum.

 I also fudged my way into the Faberge exhibit.  Just roll the eyes and get on the with royal eggs, jewelry and other household items.  Not just any household of course.


 Two vies of the detail of the egg I like second best.


 a bit of pretty bling.
 My favorite egg and matching pendant.  I love the ice crystals scratched in the egg.  I would have bought the book but didn't need to see $100 book lying around Chez Nickell.  we aren't that type of household.
 Museum store for the finale.  I love nerd, geeks rule and these awesome keychains.  Yes the testicle says Having a Ball.

 A really nice for the H town today.  almost balmy and chilly still at home.  Just how I like it.

No comments: