The cat freaking out at the return of the dog. His Paris dream came crashing to an end. No more lounging around. Time to run and be afraid. Okay not that afraid, by the time i got Herr Berlin back in Texas, he wasn't even able to make it up the stairs.
True Memoriam this time. My big stinker of a dog walked pretty good for a guy going on 12. even pulled at me on the first leg of the last ever journey around the block for the am. Pooped in the house and on the walk that Monday morning, should have been my first sign. I came home early to meet Chad for a sushi happy hour, he has a week long trip. I can't get the Berls up on all four feet. Chad comes home, neither can he. We still dine out and discuss. I cry. When we come home even the leash on, we can't encourage his hind end to work properly. I had known this was coming and in one of the earlier HE CAN'T STILL BE UPRIGHT moments, I had the foresight to research an at home vet and all her options. Called her, handed the phone to Chad and spent the whole last night of lives together. Vet showed first thing this morning, did her job so well, professional and succinct. Then she and Chad carried my boy with a beautiful afghan covering him out to her car. He is gone and my heart and home will never be same.
This was the day my mom died. he was so good waiting for me at the base of the stairs on his little rug. It was as if he knew. I went upstairs and got the call. He came up to join me and we mourned.
Chad was working from home one day and this shows up on my work email. "Stinker snuck up one paw at a time, keeping eye contact the whole time and then sleeps on the couch." yes sounds about right.
His usual spot for curling up. Right on the mass of pillows. This was in Phx when his hind end was working properly, maybe a bit too well working. I got teary looking at these other photos with his tail wagging. The other Houston house had iron railings and he would bang his tail against it and clang throughout the house. by the end, his tail was had a worn spot from all this sitting on it, the tip was crooked and it only came up when he was pooping.
He managed to eat trash, chicken carcass, enough of my sister's underwear, enough of my underwear and even one of Chad's shorts. That is why at both my sister and my house you will find our trash hiding in a pullout cabinet. He could play ball for hours, thank you Chuck it! He would destroy most toys. A black Kong was purchased at the encouragement of the first vet. I took it in to him in pieces and told him "20 minutes!" He ate most of his toys. Had to help when the string ones would, ahem, catch on the way out. I have his Mr Lucky. A squeaky wishbone that was the first toy to remain intact for days, weeks, months, years. I know with all the house pooping, I was getting really frustrated. But he was slowly but surely telling me, I am old now. Monday night was his telling me, its time Momma.
I had him longer than I have had Chad. September will be the tie break. There will not be another dog just yet. I need to mourn. I am so glad he waited until we were home from Australia. I need to go away for weekends and not need a house sitter. I need to let Junior adjust to the quiet house.
Things I learned from him:
don't go huge when going dog. 80 pounds should suffice. Check with the vet, mine was never happy with his weight. Ever. Even two weeks ago at 80 pounds.
store all food away. really away. Oven, microwave, don't turn your back and answer the door, dinner / brownies / frozen chicken breasts will disappear.
there really is no other way to be greeted home than a nose in your crotch.
bar soap quite edible.
even after 48 hours of beginning love, he knew which house to return to after getting out.
he kept my secret that I was in love with Chad from the get go.
fruit tastes better with some of his poo in the mix. Oranges and grapefruit pre and post Berli- huge difference in taste and texture. That nitrogen boost did the trick!
your best friend should always be portable, even to Texas.
it is normal to buy a house for your dog. Twice.
he kept his promise and didn't die 6 months after my mom and dad.
bacon grease paper towels were a delicacy.
peanut butter makes everything edible. even those last three tramadol.
big dog agressive dogs need love too. And give it back tenfold.
everyone needs someone near them. I hope he knew even at the end, when I was stroking those lovely giant soft ears of his, that I was close. I love you Berli dog. I love you.
14 May 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment