26 February 2010

Cinema

26 February 2010- Thinking I will take in the ultimate chick flick, Valentines day this afternoon. Got me thinking on all the movies I have seen: bad, horrible, downright stinkers, intriguing, interesting and funny as all get out.
Funny: The Invention of Lying with Ricky Gervais. Hilarious. This was on the loop on the plane and so stinking funny. Very British, mean funny. "Pepsi, when coke is not available." Oh so funny.
Intriguing: The Visitor. About a guy who is on cruise control with his life and runs into a couple of illegal Syrians living in New York. Quite good no matter how you see the immigration process.
Bad: The Marine. Yuck. Uber stinky. And worse that Robert Patrick (the bad ass liquid terminator) is in it. He must of really needed the money.
Juvenile: The Hitman. everyone guy's dream to shot machine guns while bikini clad women run about and dollar bills float thru the air. Seriously, does Hollywood employ 15 year old boys as screenwriters? See also Smoking Aces, Sin City and my favorite, 300.
Lame: Short Circuit. Come on now, French tv stop airing this one. What is worse, my MIL sent us a copy as well.
Painful: Australia. Like the romance novel cover. Just really long for such a snapshot. See also the Ugly Truth, Two Lovers.
Solid: The Imposter. Better than expected. Love that DNA recognition and tracking implants are going to be the norm. Vincent D'Ofrio is such a good guy that you hate.
Heavily translated movies: Slumdog Millionaire, Inglorious Basterds, Avatar and the like. Love these movies but hate that VO means I need to read french way better than I do.
Maybe I will stay up and watch the Oscar coverage. I caught some of the Golden Globes and during the commercial breaks (for the US), they discussed at length the winners. The french were very disappointed that "Very Bad Trip aka the Hangover" won for comedy. They just didn't get it. Considering very few make it to Vegas, they wouldn't understand. Bon film!

2 comments:

Laura S. said...

I obviously don't get out much since I haven't heard of most of those much less seen any although I really want to see Valentine's Day!

Linda Alyce said...

Go see Valentine's Day. Cute and chicky all together. I heart Bradley Cooper and the other guy. But of course if he were bald with a goatee, the feelings would be gushing. I heart goatees and bald.