18 December 2009

Snow and Food quest



19 December 2009- Have a seat! Technically still Friday night. Just up because I couldn't sleep. An annoying problem that has plagued me since moving from my hometown.
I wandered around a bit today. I wanted good snow pictures before it all melted away. Still quite a bit at the Jardin du Luxembourg. Not much on the streets anymore. The sky cleared so it is well below freezing tonight. Nice under the covers but a bit chilly by the drafty windows.
I feel a bit like a slacker this year. Two of my neighbors from TX surprised their spouses with trips this year. Trying to come up with something cool to surprise Chad but he keeps ruining the timing. We are planning an Ireland trip, was for the end of May, now June to coordinate with a friend coming over. Our nephew is getting stationed in Germany so then Chad will have a climbing partner for Mont Blanc. Not sure when said Nephew will get leave, so planning has been difficult. Still holding out hope for an Iceland trip. Maybe?
For those who follow me on Facebook, I have completed *unsuccessfully* my quest for Chex mix. Who would have thought that Chex wasn't imported. Frosties, Cornflakes, Special K, All Bran make the cut but no Chex. It did reinforce the idea that chocolate cereals dominate the market here. I even found one with brownies filled with nutella inside. For breakfast? Vraiment?
I would have settled for Crispix, anything to make a corn and rice salty treat. I remember getting a huge bag from my Gramma in our annual Christmas package. The one year we surprised her in Montana, she made some at my aunt's house. She added Cheerios to her recipe. This year was the year Apple Cinnamon Cheerios made the scene. Whoops, that was a bad batch. I would eat it now, happily. Ah the food we miss from home.
Usually I can find alternatives. Not for this. The closest thing is a giant cracker thing (same shape as Chex) but with the flavor of bacon. The other flavor is chevre. The French do have some interesting flavor combinations for snack foods. A cheeto looking thing with the flavor of peanuts. Puff balls with bleu cheese. Ham flavored potato chips.
I recall looking at a Carrefour ad recently and they were advertising all the lovely appetizers for Christmas. Foie gras breads in several flavors and textures, lovely puff pastry items with salmon, and the hot favorite for France, anything in a shooter glass. Layers of soup, cream and fresh herbs (really lovely things). Then I looked at the Target ad online to find cheeseballs, chips/dips, veggie and fruit trays. Food here is an art form.
But I would happily sell my soul for a batch of Chex mix, heavy on the worchestershire/butter. With Cheerios. Or some tamales. Oh, those are good. Happy holiday fooding to you.

No comments: