22 December 2009- The countdown has begun. Chad and I spend most of our nights staring at the pile of gifts in the corner. No, not really. They are quite cute with the tree perched on top of one of the boxes. Chad is working his last of 2009 today. Then he gets to play in Paris with me and some guests.
I have been notified that boxes from the US will be delayed so we get to continue the Christmas holiday through next week. Sweet, mail. After nothing but sushi menus and locksmith cards, real mail is awesome. Want to brighten my day, spend 94 cents on a stamp and send me whatever, postcards, the supersaver coupon collection. Really.
I found a new job yesterday at the grocery store. Usually I am just a top shelf getter (Uh, madame? Could you?) but I am expanding my repertoire. You have to barcode your own produce at some stores (like Central Market or Smittys when i was young). The scales have pictures and you weigh the food and push the picture, barcode spits out. The cutest French lady wasn't wearing her glasses so she needed me to assist with getting the right button pushed. Funny thing is she was buying clementines. There is no picture for that, just the word CLEMENTINE. Tricked her! Then another old lady couldn't find the code for her exotic item, cherry tomatoes. I hooked her up with the code and she continued to thank me when our carts crossed paths throughout the store.
Then I came home to find that my power was out. Not that this is regular occurrence but I usually give it 30 minutes and flip the main, voila. Problem solved. No amount of waiting and flipping got the lights on. I put a call into our relocation assistance, no way I am calling the electric company. One of them called our gardienne. I didn't know she was the person for this job. She and Monsieur Da Silva came up and we tackled the problem collectively with a french translator on the phone. We found a blown fuse for the bathrooms' breaker. Luckily the Da Silvas had a spare. And very lucky as they are leaving for Portgual today. I got their help in the nick of time! Bonnes vacances to you.
Now when the power is out, you are just stuck. No computer, no phone (cordless ones need the power), no vacuum (still need to do this), no lights, no fridge, no ignitor on the stove or the heater. So glad for my seldom used cell phone and business card for the relo company. A friend here doesn't have a cell phone. I think I am going to tell her husband that is what she needs for Christmas. You just never know.
Out for more grocery fun. Need limes and the big store charges 7E99 for a kilo. The little store only charges 2E50 so bargain hunter Linda is on the job. Need anything else while I am out?

1 comment:
I love that picture! Glad to hear that you will be getting some good mail soon although Emma would love all the sushi menus and locksmith cards. She has to get "her" mail every day now! Turns out, for once I am actually thankful for the junk mail.
Post a Comment