01 March 2009

1 March 2009- Weather is fine, a bit cloudy but still over 60 degrees. We ventured out to Musee Quai Branly for another version of Gratuit Dimanche, Free Sunday at the museum. It is the non-Western Civilizations museum. It was amazing to see some of the artifacts. And I know it is a museum so a fairly protected environment but to see textiles and art with vibrant colors from 15-18th centuries is just downright cool. Knowing that my couch faded in less than 6 months and yet a ceremonial tunic can be bright red from several hundred years ago is an astonishing fact.

I also started comparing the French and Austrian people today. French people walk across any street, sometimes if there is no traffic and if the little man is red. Austrian people wait patiently at crosswalks until the little man is green, no compromise. French consider the reusable grocery bags as their hand luggage. Austrians have the newest, sleekest luggage going. French people look as if the Ice Age is returning even if it is 60 degrees outside. Austrians might put on gloves when going skiing, maybe a hat. Order a cafe in France, get a shot of expresso. Order a cafe in Austria, get a mug of coffee, creamer and a glass of water. French people cannot finish a two course meal in less than 1 1/2 hours. Austrians can get four courses done in an hour flat with two beers. French people are horrible at lining up. Austrians are the same; actually all European continent people cannot master this skill. The Brits have the beauty of the proper line up.

3 comments:

Cass said...

Tee hee! Love the Parisian/Austrian comparisons. I'm glad the English seem to have lining up among their skill sets.

Laura S. said...

Love the comparison. I know where I would rather be! 60 degrees sounds wonderful after the weekend that we had but I am looking forward to those kind of temps later this week.

Berni said...

Great observations!