




6 April 2008- Once again, it is free museum Sunday. We were going to take the bus but it was blocked due to another manifestation. We jumped on on new addition to the public transportation- VELIB- and found the manifestation. Actually it was the Paris marathon but the signs still work. Crowds of people that were disturbing bus routes, same thing just no signs or flares with this crowd. We chose to go to the Centre Georges Pompidou, the home to modern art in Paris. I am not much of a fan of modern art but I really wanted to see the building. It was a scandal when it was built. Not at all in the Parisian style other than it is grand. It looks like gerbils or hamsters live in it. The ride to the top floor was the experience. All the way up the tube to the 6th floor. We glanced at the art, a deer head made of champagne cork cages? But somehow it was lost on me. They had a room full of inflatable furniture. Turns out my old Barbie furniture is considered art. I guess I should have sold it for more at my clearing out sale when I entered high school. Live and learn. A great view of Sacre Coeur is from the top of Pompidou. Eerie how the sun was shining on that building alone today in Paris. Wouldn't you know, they sell nutella crepes just outside of the museum? Imagine what flavor Chad got? NUTELLA. I swear it is in his blood.
Then we returned to the Cluny musuem of middle ages. Third time is a charm and missing rooms were open! Hooray. They were impressive and included a chapel with tapesteries and carvings. The sun even made it out. The medieval garden is in bloom, spring should be here, just need to tell the sun to show up more consistently. A quick lunch and we were headed back home. We also found a gelato shop with tasty sounding flavors. Even Nutella. On the list for another day.
More about Velib. Velo is bike, libre is free thus free bike, sort of. It is a program run by the City of Paris. We have a year membership which entitles us to a bike for a 1/2 hour. Anything more than 30 minutes, your account is charged 1 euro and so on. Over 20,000 bikes are available in Paris. You ride the bike to wherever in Paris, find an empty stall and return it. Then when done, you pick up another bike and ride it then return it. Very simple to do. The bikes are maintained very well, include a lock, basket and bell. The seat is adjustable so you can just ride and go. I guess I won't be using my mountain bike in town. For 29 euro I have 20,000 bikes at my disposal. Too bad we live near the top of a hill, never many bikes at the top, lots at the bottom.
Yesterday we went to the crypt below the Notre Dame. Paris was going to put in an underground parking lot but found relics from the Roman age. Amazing to think of all the stuff under this city. I cannot wait until the Catacombs open (signage says April so May should be about right) to see more of what lies beneath. We finished the day by walking around the neighborhood. I found this tiny little street, Chad is my scale of how tiny. I saw a street sign for Cooked scallops-Brulerie Saint Jacques. My favorite. Must go back for dinner.
I have been plagued by a never ending sore throat. I am afraid after my last brush with the French healthcare system (still haven't returned for my blood work results) that they might diagnose me with TB or the plague. Taking it easy and drinking lots of fluids. Wine and beer are fluids. Champagne should count too.

No comments:
Post a Comment