




10 April 2008- Today was springlike in Paris. So once I got going, I got outside for some walking and photos. I had decided to hit Bois de Vincennes today. It was at one time the hunting grounds of the royalty in the 12th Century. Louis IX lived in the chateau and Louis XIV built the southern portion of the royal palace there. I rode the Velib' (love this thing) to Gare de Lyon and then metro to get out to the Chateau. It is outside the peripherique so easier to ride that far out. Not many velib stations that far out either.
Right out of the metro is the fortified walls of the palace. I decided to eat my lunch first then explore. A bird dropped a goody on the sleeve of my coat. Joy, again I am a poop magnet for birds. It did take 5 months to get smeared though. The French birds have only recently discovered that I am an inviting sight. Enough of the poop. I just passed through the fortress. There is still a lot of scaffolding and restoration. I figure Chad and I will return very soon. In all its glory and sunlight- thank you for the sun- it is an impressive castle. Drawbridge and moat just as required for castles.
Then I ventured to the south to Parc Floral. Giant white 3D letters let you know you have arrived. It was a gorgeous winding park full of flowers, trees, and grass. It does your soul good to see green and growing things. I could feel my blood pressure drop and just took it all in. The flowers smelled heavenly. Every kind of them. Tulips, my favorite! Beds and beds full. I could have gotten my ukelele prepped for a really bad Tiny tim impersonation. Camelias, azaleas, violas, lavender, some roses and soon magnolias. In Houston, the blooms always show around my birthday. We'll see if the same goes in Paris. Huge playground in the center. It looked fun. Slides and climbing and several different age appropriate toys to play on. I found this restaurant on the side of the park with a field of jonquils (at least that is what the sign said). I so wanted to strip of my shoes and run through. Spectacular!
From there I ambled down a large road for pedestrians, bikes and horses. It was weird to be in Paris and not see cars whizzing around. A lake is in the middle of the woods. Lac Des Minimes has 3 little islands in the middle. They have rowboats to rent but I was satisfied just to walk. A whole set of paths connect the whole area. Giant green spaces in Paris, I know. It was so great to see the city keeping this as nature intended. Just a cool place to visit. There is a whole other lake on the west side of the Bois as well. Another trip...

No comments:
Post a Comment