



29 March 2008- Hooray, the sun was shining (at least earlier) so I hurried out of the apartment with the good camera set out to soak up the sun. I walked from my Rive Gauche apartment to the Ile de Cite (Conciergerie Prison or castle picture) then cut up to the full Right bank (Rive Droite) of Paris.
Usually Avenue de Opera is hopping. Today, like a ghost town. I found a bus stop with all the answers. A poster displaying a pertubation in the routes today due a manifestation (protest) running from Place de Republique down the stretch of Blvd Haussman to Place d'Opera from 2 to 5pm. I was in the area early to return to where I had taken a tour of the covered passages of Paris on Wednesday. Wednesday was rainy so I didn't bother to take the camera. Today was a much better photo-op day. The passages where created by an enterprising man who knew what people wanted. To get out of the city, but have lots of entertainment. The passage is the fore-runner of the mall. Lots of shops, cafes, hotels connected by a glass roof. The most restored passage houses toy stores. I mean every kind of toy, every age group are represented and done beautifully.
Then with the hours of the manifestation getting nearer, I needed to find a metro in the area right quick. I stumbled upon the Opera Comique and where Alexandre Dumas fils was born. I also found a tribute to Josephine Baker and the Folies Bergere theatre. It is a mostly Jewish area surrounding so all was quiet for the Sabbath. Paris quiet on a Saturday morning, I almost didn't believe it myself.
I made my way out to the 'burbs to check out the La Defense commercial centre aka mall. La Defense is way out there but runs in line with the obelisk, Champs-Elysees and the Arch de Triomphe. You can see the tiny Arch through the gap in the one picture. I was there to scout out a store called Auchan, the closest store to a Target yet. Too bad or good depending on how you look at it, it is two metros away. Definitely returning and bringing the rolly cart.
Chez Nickell is almost complete after the couch fiasco. Just a few lamps and extras and we'll be ready for guests. I bought some very Parisian balcony flower holders and stocked them up with red Geraniums, how very French of me.
Chad is heading to Paris as I type. He didn't take the bump for $300 but they still put him in first class. He is bringing me all kinds of treats and a much needed kitty litter welcome mat. I came home yesterday to a lovely brown leather couch covered in grey clay kitty prints. Ah, the Junior. Good thing he is cute or else he would be out exploring Paris the hard way.

No comments:
Post a Comment