25 March 2008- The weather continues to be gray and miserable. The wind and rain/ice were really no fun today. Especially since Jason and I went to the Orangerie which was on a lot of people's plans for Easter Monday. We braved it out thru icy winds, literally. I mean the woman in front of us loaned the woman behind us her scarf. C'est Damage! No pictures, it was too depressing. Spring (printemps) better come soon or I will trash the window displays of the department stores showing cute sundresses and sandals. The gray pea coat has got to stop making it out of the apartment.
Inside the Orangerie was kind of cool, in a very weird way. It is a rather small museum and hosts two large rooms of 360 degree Monet water lily paintings. The renovation of the museum found part of a Bastion wall from the mid 1550's. Like everything else in Paris, if you dig, you will find more interesting stuff. Back the paintings not necessarily Claude's best but still kind of cool. I think I prefer Marmottan in the 16th, better selection of Monet. But the lower level of the museum had some artists I had never heard of. Maybe I had, and I put those thoughts out of my head since I last took Humanities 250c at the University of Arizona. Soutine was the oddest one. That artist had some mental disorders. You really needed the titles of his works to see that in the painting. Do a search and see for yourself. It also held some Picassos that just show what a master artist he was. You can pick out a Cezanne versus a Renoir but Picasso is a shifty painter. You can't compare one to the next.
I have loads of French homework to do. I am trying to get this stuff down if for nothing else than return visits to doctor's offices and the ever looming telephone. It is always a crap shoot when I pick up it whether I will be able to understand the person or not. All is well and at the least I can always understand the boulanger. Or point to the devilish goodies they concoct with flour sugar and loads of chocolate or fruit.
My husband is off in Phoenix drinking beer and eating Mexican food. He better not have a Wendy's jalapeno burger or I may have to change the 3 point lock on him. Or train Junior to attack him.
I just read on MSN that red wine contains polyphenols to block fat absorption. So if I wash down a croissant with butter with some hot wine, it almost doesn't count as food. got to go to the wine store for a stock up!
24 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment