21 March 2008

Holy week! and Holy week

21 March 2008 This is Holy week and I just returned from the veneration of the crown of thorns at the Cathedral Notre Dame. It was raining earlier but just as I stepped outside, the sun peeked out. It remained peeking until I was safely inside the church. I waited only 20 minutes to get inside, good thing considering it is Good Friday. I figured most of the tourists would be taking lunch and it proved right. I got inside and got my picture of the crown of thorns. The ones I took in the church did not come out at all. I used flash and didn't use flash and still got nothing. My video is obscure but the singing in the background is beautiful. Amazing no matter what you believe that the crown of thorns does exist. Pretty awe inspiring. Several knights or in French Chevaliers were present. They were wearing their white capes with the red cross and white gloves. And the lack of the beggars at the entrance and exit was a nice touch. I have the official copy of the photo they were handing out. I just don't want to want post it as it is not my photo. I will email it out to those who ask for it. It is very nice, enclosed in a glass with ornate carvings and jewels attached.
The week started off with our couches. Holy crow, we got them. But of course one had to be assembled, not much of a problem and the other one was damaged. I assembled the large one and thought "awright." then I tipped up the leather couch to apply the felt feet and remove the plastic and "OH NO." One foot was entirely in pieces. The other was bent. I even went to see if replacement feet would work but the bolt is not the same size. Chad came home and found that the side board is broken. So I got on IKEA.fr to lodge my complaint. They called and are ordering new feet. We still have to open up the upholstery to see the extent of the damage. And like the book "dont sweat the small stuff", the French are teaching us patience. We are patiently awaiting new feet and or new couch. One is in use already so Chad and I can at least sit by each other now. Junior is happy, he has a new perch and a new place to shed.
I had a close personal view of the French healthcare system. I waited 2 hours past my appointment time and then got a shocking initial diagnosis. Just girly issue, not pregnant! I got another appointment for an ultrasound, blood work and new prescription. The blood work went fine other than the language thing. I gathered that I have to return on Tuesday nite for results and to pay. I got my new prescription and although for 3 months, the pharmacist only dispensed one and told me to return next month. I had an ultrasound today. It is cruel, they make you drink a liter of water and then put you in a room with no pants on staring at a toilet. I bolted as soon as the doctor told me I could go relieve myself. Turns out not much of anything, as I was glad to hear. I couldn't believe that my US doctors would miss something like this. I am very relieved. Very thorough though these French doctors.
Chad leaves for Phoenix tomorrow morning. I guess my parents will have to cook him Easter dinner. I have not much planned for my Chad free week. Maybe lots of museums and the opera. Sky is the limit and I am in Paris.

No comments: