26 November 2007

Settling in

26 November 2007- We are settling in nicely to Paris. Not bad for a couple who doesn't have a working French credit card between them. Mine is locked for a week after the ATM captured it and I went back to get it. Chad killed his by entering the wrong PIN at a store three times. OH well, that is what he gets for being addicted to Monoprix Brie and cheap beer. I guess we figured in the USA we get to pick our PINS immediately. That is why the US economy is based on consumer spending. The faster you can spend money, the better. Only this means that Chad and I have to wait another week to buy a TV. I think it might actually kill him.

We ventured out to the burbs on Saturday to a store called Carrefour. SuperTarget and then some but with 4 times as many people. Yikes! We bought phones (still no service though) and some groceries. You have to barcode the produce and I had forgotten. We held up the line for a while, but it was nice to ride the trains again. No more walking everywhere. On Sunday we went down the street to the Pantheon. It is Paris-version of Westminster Abbey. All the famous men of France are interred. A few women, Marie Curie (hooray for women in Chemistry). We had a small lunch and then Chad had to try a nutella crepe. We found a tourist street crammed with cheap restaurants, bakers, and about 6 gyro shops. Might have to go back to get a sandwich.

I took apart the door today so they could deliver the washer and refrigerator. Now I can have real butter and milk. The balcony/fridge works but those things are not something I would want to risk. Now our beer can be cold and we can have ice in our Coca Light! Ah, the simple things. Off to stock up on supplies.

No comments: