23 September 2012

A week review

 Last Saturday was Free Museum District day.  I have discovered that I love museums, love people in museums, love the security workers in museums so I must support Free day, totally my price tag.  I rolled into the MFAH parking lot at 11 am.  Got started with my map and headed directly to the Holocaust museum.  Yes I cried.  Almost unimaginable that the Jewish holocaust was almost 70 years ago and Darfur, not even 20 years.  Ridiculous that things that never should happen, never forget gets lost.  They even had survivors speak.  There is even a rail car you can enter.  Astounding place.  Then for a lighter note,  I went to the Asia Center.  Took this picture out their window.  Pretty cool place and with a current installation from the Guggenheim.  Ming dynasty things, how perfect are those!  And centuries old items, I love the history.  I then trekked back to try food truck offerings of Coreanos, a mexican Korean combination (yes pork belly burrito with fries inside) and then strolled thru contemporary art museum rather fast.  Weird installation there titled Cape of Good Hope with anthropmorphic animals/humans, a lot of red gloves and razor wire.  Lost on me.  the photos downstairs  were good once you read the explanation.  Great museum shop though.  Then I concluded my day at Fine Arts.  Awesome American art installation and a tiny little engraving caught my eye.  Done by a little known artist but better known silversmith named Paul Revere.  Astounding.  Not as old as the pretty Ming china but amazing to this American.
 Super cute Museum district house.  I would love a cute little old house.  Maybe next time we live in Houston, wish wish.
Lovely fallish day in Houston.  The acorns are dropping, sometimes the weather follows.  I am so excited for fall.  Been too hot, too long.  My Chad returned from Indiana early on Saturday and came home with a cold.  We scrapped our plans for a kayak trip.  Hit up Central Market for their annual Beer sale.  We don't need anymore beer or wine at Chez Nickell.   Pantry is full, wine fridges and racks full. Time to start drinking!
Then an impromptu raclette party erupted on Sunday night.  We caught up with our travel busy neighbors and hatched plans for the 3rd annual Brennan's Bayou Beerfest attendance.  Always a hoot and half.  Plus mini pretzels, OMG.
Work week went as usual.  I really need to change my attitude towards work.  It is only 40 hours of my week.  But one coworker in particular has been really chapping my hide.  I left a huge stack of case review in our file cabinet on Tuesday afternoon.  As of Friday, when I added more to the "to be reviewed pile", I left a bit disgusted.  I am half way thru the next run and will only make it worse.  I guess I need to staple my current mantra "I have a job because several people don't actually work here" to my forehead.  Maybe find a meditation spot in the instrument room.  Serenity NOW!
Have given up on dining out with another couple.  I found an email from June stating that we should get together for dinner.  They have canceled on us since then.  Really, no dinner eaten on any Friday, Saturday or Sunday since June.  They might have a problem.  Chad is finished inviting them as well.   They obviously don't realize what lovely dinner guests we are.  I am full of recent news and science data with a week of data review and podcasts in my ears.  Their loss.
Funny of the week was at Uncle AL's wellness fair.  The boxed lunch they offered was a sandwich, baked chips, apple and a giant cookie.  Giant cookie from its nutritional information stated it was only 120 calories.  Per serving.  How many servings?  4.  A 480 calorie cookie at a wellness fair.  Good luck lowering your cholesterol or weight with 1/4 of a 2000 calorie day in one giant cookie.  I think a stick of butter in the box lunch would have been better.  Hardly anyone would eat just a stick of butter.
Chad is off to Austin tonight for a week of recruiting.  Which means this mouse is going to play.  Girls night out at a gallery for Friday, House of Blues on Saturday and maybe some well deserved crafting and finish the *6$%# nightstands with spray paint.

No comments: