Gorgeous May weather in Houston this weekend, no higher than mid 80s. I had to get out in it. Another International fest, the St. Basil Greek Fest. Sounds great!
Admission was $3 and I parked on the street. Quite a big deal this the small Greek fest in Houston.
But big enough for these guys to collect and ready themselves for a Gyro eating contest sponsored by NikoNikos (yum). The big guy 3 from the left definitely does the Nathan's hot dog contest at Coney Island. Seen that guy before. Big money on the line, $4K plus notoriety of being awesome. Having watched several episodes of Man vs. Food, I have seen plenty of the food shimmy. Shake around a bit to find a bit of room in that tummy.The beautiful and new St. Basils Church. I got a peek inside. The chapel was phenomenal. Love the gold and icons. They feel very holy, I like the feeling of these buildings. The priest inside the chapel was fielding questions and I had to laugh. In the land of Baptists and other christian sects, he was kind of fighting an uphill battle trying to highlight the similarities of all christian faiths. Yassas to you.
Our winner. 21 1/2 gyros in 10 minutes. I know, I think I just threw up in my mouth.
A tasty lamb dinner was purchased (got to support the cause, more festivals) of lamb, rice, dolmades, spankopita, tiropita and greek salad. I also purchased some fine Mythos beer and then found the mother load.
Most festivals only have baklava for dessert. This one also had LOUKOUMADES which is greek for honeyed goodness from the gods. I have long waxed poetic about every culture having their fried dessert and the Greeks are no different. Similar to my Croatian Fritti but just a hint of cinnamon in the batter and throughout the sugar topping. Recipes found on the internet seem just about right. Yummy.
I will definitely make it out again for another St. Basils event. Nice people and good attitude. I tried to buy an outfit for my new nephew Nico but mostly girly stuff. I will have to wait to get him a NikoNikos shirt, they only have kid sizes, not infants.
I drove out to Eldridge on the highway but took the twisty Memorial (aka Chateau lane) all the way home. I did take this while driving, but always had both hands on the wheel. Gorgeous Sunday in Houston. Too bad they are a dying breed. About to get stinking hot soon. So very very soon.
I wrote a check to become a member of my NPR station. Excellent news, they are becoming a full time news station. I can listen to Diane Rehm during the day and not thru a podcast! I figured such an event needed a bit financial backing since I have resisted due to the lack of programming. Well, cut that check, all NPR programming is coming to Houston starting tomorrow. Can I get an AMEN?
Junior has been very needy today. He must be reeling from the Chad being gone most of April and May so far. He would not let me sleep restfully last night. Up and curled and then reposition. Repeat multiple times. He doesn't just curl up with you, he curls up on you. Poor dude missing his armpit of Chad. I spoke to Chad and he is heading back home tomorrow. Hackmasters went well on an individual level but no trophy. Oh well, we know I don't like souvenirs that you have to dust.



No comments:
Post a Comment