21 April 2011

Thursday musings

So early on a Thursday morning and what am I focused on, the TLC network.  I watched Hoarders: Buried Alive and then Extreme Couponing and then more Hoarders.  Now really, they are all shows about hoarders, for the most part.  A family of 9 in Spring, TX saved $40K in the past two years.    But then again her son has 1400 rolls of toilet paper under his bed.  She has shelving in her bedroom with food items, general goods.  I mean way more than my mother in law basement storeroom/sale room combined.  I mean crazy savings like a $500 dollar grocery bill going down to $5, impressive but what on earth are you feeding your family.  One woman bought 93 bags of croutons.  Who needs 93 bags of croutons.  Can you even afford the fresh salad to go under said croutons.  70 bottles of mustard?  I mean who are these people kidding.  This is hoarding food, which is still sick.  How much of your mortgage payment is going to your house/storage unit to keep this stuff.  I am way too French in that aspect.  I have what I need and only store wine.  The Spring Family did use the reusable bags so still a bit ahead of the others but still out there for me.
But then again, I did my own couponing recently.  I got my bottle of Listerine on a coupon and on sale at CVS.  With my savings card, I got the price refunded plus 50 cents in extra bucks.  So a bottle of Listerine got me some Reese's egg candy, and a few liters of soda.   My favorite store ever, Cost Plus World Market, sent me a $10 off coupon for my birthday.  So some Kauai peaberry coffee and a new maple syrup dispenser came home for a $2 yesterday.  Making some money but being fully reasonable about it.  Taking only what I need and leaving the rest for the rest.  We got our rebate from Costco for our Executive membership.  Turns out we paid $6. 58 for our membership instead of $100.  Not bad at all.  What do we need from Costco, not 1400 rolls of tp, any amount of mustard, or croutons, thank you very much.
Had some very Inception type dreams last night.  Jumping off sky scrapers without a parachute, melting into the asphalt.  Huh, maybe time for Chad to come home.

1 comment:

Laura S. said...

I hear you about the couponing. I would love to be able to do better and save more with coupons but really, why do you need 60+ bottles of mustard or 53 packages of pasta?