Where I grew up. St. Pauls Catholic Church. It was so hard to be there without my mom. I grew up right there. Sundays with Eileen and now my ever association with church/coffee and donuts. I figure I owed you loyal readers, lurkers a bit of Linda. Since I am usually the one behind the lens...
No not a fast trip to Paris. But the great little restaurant LE CHALET in Glendale, AZ. Yummy goodness. Owned by a Swiss and French partnership, they have combined the best of both countries in a real treat. Fondue, raclette, crepes, crepes and more crepes. My mom and her Golden Girls from church chose this for one of their dinners and had a great time. We decided in honor of Mom, we would go and enjoy. Very French, portions were normal size, good and inexpensive wine list. I will go back and encourage all you Valley residents to try it out. In the bar, they have closed circuit tvs that show you all the crepes as they are being made. They had my favorite, caramel with salted butter. Holy cow good. And of course the French press coffee which I think I only saw once in France. At an Englishmans' house.
Got out of Phoenix on a first class upgrade (elite status all the way!) and had several rounds of red wine. My teeth were grey upon arrival in Houston. Much better to fly first class in the afternoon than in the morning. More drinks, better food and more laid back. Back to work the next day.
Worked a full 40 hours this week. No wonder why I was so exhausted Saturday night at 9 pm. Got up early on Sunday for a jump start the day.
Needed to hit the grocery store, veggie market and garden center before noon. And then home to bake, cut, and cook up a storm for Neighbor Night. Our neighbors get together for a monthly check in and this time it was set for the day the Rodeo started. Not going to happen so it was moved to Sunday night and I was hosting. I had volunteered a while ago but after the passing of my mom I wanted to do something close to home to honor her. She loved hearing about neighbor night so I figured here was my shot.
I made chicken and steak skewers, a bit of Boeuf Bourginion, mashed potatoes (which burned up my hand mixer), risotto (from a box), Joel Robuchon's madeleines in original and chocolate, and poached pears with cake and pseudo-creme anglais. Also a cheese board, plenty of wine, prosecco and other accoutrements.
Fun for all. I really enjoyed doing it for the neighbors. They are a great bunch of people. Cried a bit and lots of hugs. Really a great honor to honor my mother in a way she would. Love to you mom. Even had a major ralph session and super hangover in your honor as well. Doing her proud.
And in the midst of cooking, I picked up my green thumbs and got planting. Herbs galore now reside in my balcony pots, plenty of peppers to pick (hopefully a peck or two), tomatoes and the ever classic geraniums. New mulch in the back for the dog. Need to spread some more layers to fill in after todays rain.
And I managed to book our Beach vacation. All hail Linda, the productivity queen! 5 nights all inclusive with a snorkel trip (premium version) booked with airfare. Cozumel here we come. A nice all-adult resort, kayaks, snorkeling, drinking and dining. Sounds blissful! Now to get in bikini shape by then...a good goal during this Lenten season.
On a serious note, our kitty dude has been really bad. Lots of sores on his neck and face. I have scooped up more hair and found him on flat hard surfaces too many times. He was taken to the vet and got shot up with antibiotics and today I dipped him in a sulfonated lime solution. Smells like I gave the cat a perm. Pray he gets better, he has been so pathetic and I hate finding clumps of hair. Come back Junior kitty.
I got the Quin's oil's changed for free. Turns out in the 5 hour ordeal that was our buying the car, I remembered that the first change is free. Yes, Virginia, free indeed. And quick. First oil change at 10K miles, Loving this whole new car thing. Only been in for a tire puncture and now this. Thanks for being uber reliable Quin.
Otherwise I have my moments. Still hate that I can't call her up on my drive home or Sunday afternoons. Getting there, slowly but surely. Off to be more productive and organized.
08 March 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment