10 March 2011

A purposeful, mindful life

10 March 2011-  Sorry for the late Wednesday post.  In honor of this Lenten season (and being reminded that some things Catholic are in you for life), my lenten promise is to give up being lazy.  You know, I will get to the dishes tomorrow.  I will pay bills later.  I will make madeleines for work another time.  Now is the time.  I have been very productive (Sunday was a  chart topper with baking, cooking, booking a vacation and some gardening thrown in).  I did load the dishwasher right away, baked aforementioned madeleines for work, walked the dog regularly, started laundry mid week, watered my plants.   Watch this girl go.  And grow.
Now for the mindful part.  I have enrolled in a meditation class.  Mostly to calm my mind down.  Imagine that, a woman of 35 in my situation has stress.  My mind is racing most of the time but now that I got my body in motion, now I will settle my mind.  Settle with the breath and actually focus on what I am doing.  I have mixed it up at work and gotten much better.  I even switched static and dynamic hand motions (in my job unscrewing and screwing caps on to sample tubes).  Makes me think about what I am doing and why I am doing it.  Try it for your self.
I have been listening to my regular Science Friday podcasts.  Must suggest them to everyone.  Acknowledge that science is good, not evil and listen away.  Did you know that bilingual (french/english) babies at 6 months can determine which language is being spoken on a muted television!  That parents shouldn't text message while pushing their children on swings?  That ice forms in salt water and much of it sinks (thus the tip of the iceberg).  I have listened to many a program that sounds odd (Honey and its uses) only to learn something that I never knew (HONEY IS AN ANTIBIOTIC IN THE OUTBACK OF AUSTRALIA).  I am such a geek.  Embrace the inner geek!  But a mindful and purposeful driven geek at that.

No comments: