21 March 2011

No more "going to do that"

Been sticking to my Lenten promise of giving up laziness.  Still meant I needed a quick cat nap this afternoon.  No more piles of mail, no dreaded full inbox of papers in the office, no dishes waiting for a turn in the dishwasher.  But I have left the floors without a vacumming.  Maybe not, I will probably get that done tonight.  Need to change the sheets anyway and if I put the old ones in the laundry, I will be confronted with the Dyson. 
I bought lovely new balcony chairs and broke them in properly this evening with my glass of Kirkland Sonoma Chardonnay.  Just the one glass, I wanted a sweet snack.  But I burnt the crud out of my batch of biscotti.  Not sure what happened but I did finally clean the oven, more banned laziness.  Threw out all the burnt biscotti (dark chocolate and slivered almond) minus one small tupperware of the least burnt.  Further proving that I am more my father than my mother.  I bet she never burnt a whole batch of the biscotti. 
I have been rather prolific in my reading as of late.  I guess part of that Lenten promise to stop saying "I will get to that" and actually doing it.  In the last week, I read Moveable Feast, finished Poser and started Mindfullness in plain English.  Kindle went with Chad to LA so that will be finished probably after this weekend.  I have a long list of books still to read : Sarah's Key, The man in the iron mask (so I can finish the series of Three Musketeer books), The Paris Wife, rereading We will always Paris, and Emma.  I think I have only read a bit of Austen and it was probably in my lame Humanities class in college.
I have taken up watching Anthony Bourdain religiously.  I wish I too was a chef with a cranky attitude and willingness to put anything in my mouth.  And get paid to visit places like Egypt, French Polynesia, Vienna, Nicaragua, etc.  In my dreams.  Came up with a list of places to go today.  Big Sur; Asheville, NC; Cape Cod; Glacier Park (not in early June); Santa Fe; NYC at Christmas time; Upper Penisula Michigan and many more.  Going to get to a vacation planned for the fall.  Maybe for 9-10-11?
Enjoying my life, including all the "boring" bits.  Nothing dramatic just good old living.  Working, coming home to a napping Chad and Junior, walking the dog and reading good books, shopping for food stuffs and finding inspiration in the simplest things.  Apples, door handles, shoes and the like.

No comments: