29 July 2010- Almost a whole two months since my return to the States. People keep asking what I miss from France. Not much. Other than everything. I miss the 700 square feet that I had to keep clean. Way better than 2100 square feet on three floors with 4 toilets and two pets coexisting and shedding. Miss having a grocery store right nearby for that missing ingredient (hint hint reopen the Specs). Rarely planning my day except for cleaning Monday.
But here are the surprising things I have had to get used to again. Hearing an AC run. Yard equipment sounds. Being a dog owner again, loving it as it just makes life routine. The phone ringing early in the morning. Enormous quantities of things. US sized Kitty litter bags would not fit in my rolly cart! People only saying thank you, not thank you-you are so nice. Instant response to certain phrases, no thinking required. ICE. Having to walk up stairs, no elevator. Having a trunk so several stops can be done in a day. The lovely southern attitude of most Houstonians. Not needing to run the dishwasher everyday. Doing laundry and having it take no time at all!!! Inexpensive drycleaning, I heart the Nifty Cleaners. Individually wrapped and frozen chicken breast that didn't cost 10 euros.
And the things I learned in France that I have carried over. Eating fresh whenever possible. Really nothing better. Going to the market for the produce shopping. Sorry Kroger but your department is quite lousy. Drinking water when out. Living smaller, less clothes-shoes-stuff. I stand really close to people now. I know I freak them out when they turn to find me RIGHT there. I carry a bag with me at all times. Meals are time to slow down. I rarely ask, HOW ARE YOU? Very American that question. Just a simple hello, nod or wave. I say please so much. My Gram would be proud. Still nothing better than a shot of coffee or expresso after a meal. Then meal time is done. I make eye contact a lot. Nothing is better than champagne. Just doing one thing at a time. As my friend would say, living simply.
Now for the job search. Anyone want to hire an out of work chemist who can speak passable French?
29 July 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Great post! I'd hire you but the commute would be a little much.
Post a Comment