24 June 2010

Settling and changing

24 June 2010- Our boxes are mostly unpacked, just the pictures, deerhead (very TX of us), and other decor items are waiting. We figure we will see what we have once we get all the French stuff. Turns out our air freight is here, just clearing customs. Our container was fast boated over and is set to hit the port of Houston on the 4th of July. Which means (with a good Customs agent) we could get our stuff and completly moved in within a month of moving home. Nicely done!
I have started the gut of the stuff we kept but really shouldn't have. We also have some yard equipment that we no longer need, no real yard. Extra cabinets we don't need since the house has nice big bookcases and builtins, scads of plastic kitchenware, and some of the unfortunate items left by the previous owners. A nice pile is collecting and will find a new home shortly. Bye bye stuff, hello space!
All the electronics in the home are striking today, must have heard about the big strike day in France. I mean the hairdryer, Foreman grill, two printer/scanners, my new cell phone, freezer, regular phones, and the evil VISTA operating system computer have all had their way with me. I am going to play nice and not replace them all this week but they should know, I have a credit card and will use it.
Yesterday I began the process of officially becoming Linda Alyce Nickell. It was in the 'way too hard pile' when we first got married. It isn't that big of deal but try telling two governments you have a different name, not an easy task. I chose to wait and just deal with the one. Quite painless at Social Security, it only took 10 minutes. I had brought a book even and didn't even get to crack it open. DMV took half an hour, I know I was smiled on by the gods. Next up is the passport which needs to be replaced anyways. It went for a swim in the washing machine right after the French househunt trip. Nothing damaged but Continental was not happy to accept it. Funny, they were the only ones with a problem with it. No other government or TSA had a problem ever.
I made tacos yesterday and it was so nice to have already shredded cheese. All the simple things. I did ration us on the chips, the bags are enormous here! Not really but in France, the bags are more like the jumbo "individual" bags.
In honor of my sister hitting the big quarante ans, we tried the Barefoot Bubbly, even called Cuvee but it was disappointing. Just bubbly, nothing else. The cap which you are supposed to save is marked "Take care when opening." How lame. Now the Mumm stuff from Cali is good, we already got a taste of that. We will toast you Luannie with that one!

2 comments:

phuong said...

If only you were in PA. We are in dire need of yard equipment!!

Tell me abou the plastic kitchenware! I tossed out a huge box full!

I am impressed you have a deer heard. Major street cred there.

phuong said...

Maybe I should go back to elementary school so I can figure out how to spell.