30 May 2010

Like a child

The Buren columns at Palais Royal. Of course my tour guide hates these!


30 May 2010- Okay I am trying to keep the blog drama free but this has to be vented. The cat. We are now going to pay $4000 USD to move him. I know, I know with all my previous disgust at the price. Our return travel plans are not going to be smooth (read multi-connection on a 'NO transatlantic pets' carrier). So we are pushing the easy button and getting a professional to help. We could have still put JR on the plane that flies direct while we hang out for 6 hours in CDG and CTL airports but he would be stranded at IAH for an additional 7 hours waiting for final arrival. No way, easy button. Sorry Uncle AL, we were going to save you money but you did it to yourself.


The day of our cruise that was cut short
I got my refund for our cruise on the Marne cancelled by a maritime strike. I tried to reschedule but alas, blocked again (I made a funny). The super-secret boat company was completely understanding and I got the check the next day. So I am going to reveal to you all (all 6 of you) that if ever in Paris needing a boat cruise, head to the Arsenal of Bastille and find CANUXRAMA. The best in the biz and very friendly, never crowded with a bar on the boat. A bit off the beaten path and worth it. Merci Canuxrama.
Now for the child reference. We had some friends over for a bit of cleaning out (pantry, liquour, pharmaceuticals) and got to talking about popular culture. We are so out of the loop. I only watched American Idol the year William Hung sang "She bangs, she bangs", not a big reality show watcher (I have never watched Survivor and darn proud of that), and have hardly watched shows like "The Soup", "ET" or other versions. We are like children, just bopping along our way. Blissfully unaware of what started the Kardishians, the Hills, the whole Taylor Swift thing. I recently clicked on the Who won Dancing with the stars and didn't recognize a soul. Innocent and pure of most American pop culture. I am going to be totally clueless when I see the tabloid display at the grocery store. Clueless! And loving it.
But this is quite funny. I grew up in a General Hospital household. Kept it alive during College and then once I became a working stiff, it faded into the background. But last night in my dream, I was helping Tony Geary (Luke of Luke and Laura fame) with Jennifer Aniston find Tony's daughter in Rome. I distinctly remember being in awe that I remembered his real name. So recent pop culture non-existent but the good old stuff from my childhood still firmly attached in my gray matter.
If anyone needs some spices, alcohol or a 500-count bottle of acetaminophen, come by Chez Nickell (Paris) for a pickup.
And a Bonne Fetes des Mamans! The French celebrate it on a totally different schedule. And a happy Memorial Day. Cook a few burgers in our honor (mine with jalapenos please). Remembering all who died in any war, thank you for the sacrifice.

No comments: