08 April 2010

Italian adventure!

Some of the highlites from our Cinque Terre adventure.

The main city of Monterosso. quite quiet come Easter Sunday but lovely none the less. Best olive foccacia bread, hands down!

Real Easter Grass. None of that fake cellophane stuff that gets stuck on everything. The real thing, sprouting grass. Junior would be in heaven!

The city scape of Levanto. Not part of the official Cinque Terre but on our pass so worth a look see. Gorgeous church and some of the best fritto misto (mixed fried seafood) I have ever had.

Me at the favorite Riomaggiore bar. Can't miss it just off the trail before you hit the rail station. So lovely.

Chad and his now beloved prosecco. Italian bubbles for those not in the know. my husband who used to refuse to drink white wine at all will go all out for some bubbly.
Today was ruin day in Rome. Exhausting to say the least. Everywhere you look there are some ruins. We did a few churches it is Rome. John Lateran and the Holy steps, must sees on my Christian relic tour of Rome. I did better yesterday with all things Vatican. We took in the audience, the basilica (all parts) and the museums with the Sistine Chapel. Awesome, still going thru pictures so check again tomorrow for updates.
Had a very visitor moment today. I consider myself a visitor, not a tourist. I have the books, have basic manners and good travel sense therefore not a tourist. Almost threw a kid over the House of Augustus once he threw his plastic spoon over the side. And almost called out several tourists ignoring the chains (those weren't for me) to walk over ruins from 1 to 2 BC. Ouch. Argh! Nothing I hate more. Okay, graffiti artists. Which if I had had my way (once flogged, twice killed is my policy), there would be an overrun at the Roman cemeteries. Makes me so mad!
We are the hottest couple in Rome by the way. Chad has been asleep for the past half an hour and it is just barely 10:33 CET. We are old and married. No fun! And on E-days no less. We are so sad.
Just have to mention the cutest barista I have ever encountered. Our hotel offers a Breakfast downstairs at the local bar. Cornetto (italian croissant) and cappucino. This old guy is snappily dressed in his bow tie and vest. So happy to serve coffee to the masses. He called me bambino today and I smiled like a piglet. I need a picture of this fellow who I am sure to adopt by Saturday morning to be my own personal barista. Cheery and flirty at 8am, who could ask for more?

2 comments:

Laura S. said...

We must have a photo of the barista! Sounds like it has been a great trip so far; can't wait to hear more!!!

Laura S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.