2 March 2010- So France got hit with a whopper of a storm. I heard it described as a hyper tropical cyclone. The old Eiffel Tower clocked winds at 108 mph. That is definitely hurricane worthy. The poor coast got it bad. Napoleonic era retaining walls gave up their ghosts and let the water swoosh in. The president little Sarkozy himself toured the area and provided 3 million euros to start helping with the damages and clean up. Paris didn't show much other our aforementioned bamboo window covering. I had already repaired it after a freak storm blew thru last summer so it was beyond repair. We didn't get any flooding. It would have to be pretty bad, Paris has awesome sewer system (you can tour it and no I haven't) and worse case, we are on the fifth floor (6th actually by US standards). Going to be a heck of flood to make us worry. Now it is nice and clear with the sun making regular appearances. Hooray for March. Il fait beau!
We saw Shutter Island last night. For starters, we buy our movie tickets with these discount cards Chad gets from Uncle AL's CE (employee union). Holy crow! We spent 4 euros a ticket and Chad's boss spent 11E90 for his ticket. He needs to hit the CE for the cards as well. Almost 3 times the price we paid. I mean the theater was gorgeous, Champs Elysees location where all the premieres happen but almost 12 euro. Wowza. Chad got his giant Coca with extra ice and we settled in. A good movie (no spoilers I promise) but not what I expected from a Scorcese film. A bit heavy on the special effects. I mean Martin's (yes we are on a first name basis) films usually just rely on squibs, the packets of blood to go off right on time. And not really a huge thriller. Definitely makes you think. "Once you are labelled insane, you can try to deny it and say you aren't crazy but that actually confirms that you are." Go see it but don't spend 12 euros a ticket to. A matinee would be okay.
Time for errands, ironing and workout. Wish my chest and back well, they are going to need it.
02 March 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment