10 December 2009- Christmas is full on in the air in Paris. I was by the enormous stores this week and snapped this one of the giant Christmas tree in the dome of Galleries Lafayette. Their theme this year is Noel Gourmand. Gourmand is like glutton but not the negative conotation. Just taking it all in. I will return to get video of the windows again. Teaser- a booty shaking gingerbread man is my highlight!
So yes yesterday's wordless post was about the Jacquemart-Andre house/museum. Older couple, no kids, plenty of money leaves their home to the Institut de France to be a museum. They own several of the Italian masters, Flemish masters, English masters etc. At one time, they had more clout with auction houses than the Louvre, more buying power indeed. That could be Chad and I, if we were to spend money on things like that but we have a strict rule about not buying "things you have to dust." My favorite is the fresco of Henry 3 being introduced at Venietian court. Check out the lower right corner. They cut out the fresco and saved the guy's legs. Just chop a hole into the wall to make room. Anyone who has the skill to cut a fresco out of a wall and transport it has my full respect. The rest of the house was amazing. The reception room has movable walls that descend into the floor and give way to the music room and rotunda. One giant room from 3. Mad architect skills if I say so.
I am completing my Christmas shopping for Chad today. No doubt. I have most of the makings of my shipping gifts but it will have to wait until Monday to go out. We are leaving bright and early tomorrow for the Christmas capital (jealous Laura?) and I am sure to pick up additional things to shove in the mailings. Strasbourg has had a Christmas market since the 1500's. As if being the place where a man named Gutenberg made his first printing press wasn't good enough for the town.
Strike central is France this holiday season. The museums are having fits. The Pompidou center (Modern art) has been shut down for nearly two weeks. The Louvre is partial, Orsay and the monuments have joined in. Something about for every two people retiring, they are only hiring one. Please you sit in a museum all day surrounding by priceless works of art. Oh yeah, dealing with the tourists. I understand, the annoying Italians have returned to Paris in droves. The local rail is striking on Chad's line today and tomorrow. He is working from home today to avoid the crush of people trying to get to La Defense. French rail is striking on Saturday. Nanny nanny boo boo hey hey, we are travelling on Friday and Sunday. The new Belgian fast line opens up on Sunday so no doubt in our return. The French can't spoil the Belgians fun. The big strike that could affect us the most is the trucking strike. French truckers are set to stop the trucks on Sunday. Since Paris doesn't make anything, this could be a fast one. The Parisians need their bread (flour trucks), fois gras (fatted duck liver), veggies and other goods. I am buying my Christmas dinner main course today, just on the off chance that this one sticks. The Italians have had a good truck strike. Plus they have the power of the Mafia. I just hope all strikes go according to plan and the government relents in the holiday spirit. But you never know with the French. Bon courage!

2 comments:
Another wow! is in order, and a merci beaucoup. Bonne chance!
I think we need a video of the booty shaking gingerbreadman. Happy travels and so jealous! :)
Post a Comment