08 November 2009

Weekend plans

8 November 2009-  We hosted some French friends for a margarita night.  Sick or not (still a bit of crud lingering) we had made this plan some 6 weeks ago, so postponing was not really an option.  They are all young kids (25 years old) and poor so we threw in dinner as well.  I cooked a huge pot of tortilla soup and some fajita quesadillas to go along with the Margarita theme.  Only one jalapeno in the soup, finely chopped.  Benvenidos a Mexico!
I got one girl to turn red after eating the soup, another to take off her sweater.  Everyone ate it and really liked it.  Liked it better with a box of Kleenex, as the French cannot handle the heat or perceived heat of chili peppers or spice of any kind.  Although I am not sure my mother (a known food wimp) could have eaten much of it as well.  Maybe my mommy is French and not Croatian as originally thought?
I impressed the crowd with my bridge shuffling technique for our Texas Hold 'Em tournament after the meal.  Really sad shuffling skills for most of them.  Never anticipated that deficiency in the French.  The young'uns were all excited to play real Texas Hold 'Em with people who have lived in Texas and been to Las Vegas. 
We had several Franglais conversations about travel, life in Paris and life in the USA.  Topics included England, refrigerators, fresh food, cars, walking, bread, jobs, miscommucation and entertainment.  The usual subjects.
The dishwasher is doing overtime.  The biggest problem with entertaining in France, multiple courses means multiple plates, bowls, all the flatware we own.  I think the cabinets were empty by the end of the meal but the sink was full.
Today I am hastily tying up ends for our trip to Athens.  The trains are on strike tomorrow so we will have to bus it to the airport.  Chad is very nervous, he doesn't trust the bus.  I love the bus so I am confident.  I am double checking our flight, apartment location and maps of the city.  It has been one month since I have been out of Paris, so sick or not, I am going.  Going to have to start packing since we need an early start tomorrow.  I am taking the computer on this trip so expect real time updates on the blog about Athens.  Andio !  (goodbye in Greek)

1 comment:

Linda Alyce said...

Pray for my dad. He is having his own health concerns. Thanks.