04 August 2009

Ah, the French system

4 August 2009- I needed three trips to the Mairie (townhall) to obtain a form from the French government. I tell you all the services that Chez Nickell provides are boundless. It is still swirling around in my mind that 45 euros for official stamps (required for the form), copies of tax bill, payslips, gas bill, square meterage of the rented apartment and other intimate details of my personal life and home are now on file with the government. All this so a friend and her husband can stay here at Chez Nickell for vacation.
I AM SO NOT KIDDING!
I guess the government would like to know that I am an upstanding citizen who is not in the manner of harboring fugitives of other riff-raff. Here is the kicker, her husband was born in France so he understands the process. Ah, the French. If the wine and food weren't any good, none of it would be worth it.
The things we take for granted as US citizens. And to any future Chez Nickell guests who require a visa to get in to France, give me plenty of notice so I can prepare the copies and get the liquor chilling.
Hey at least it makes ordering something from the butcher shop seem so easy! One good thing a day....

1 comment:

Linda Alyce said...

Just remembered that not once was I asked for a phone number. They needed a tax bill but not a way to contact me.