A bit out of order, Blogger is still messing with my pictures. We left Colmar to the city of Reims. Just chose that because we knew we wouldn't want to spend another 5 hours in the car. Reims is home to many champagne caves and the cathedral from yesterday's post. All the kings of France were coronated there. We got up early (no champagne brunching for us) and off to the Normandy coast. We arrived and went to Caen for a lunch before the Caen Memorial museum. A bit overpriced but still nice to see the chain of events leading up to the 6th of June 1944.

Statue at the American Cemetery.

The rows of crosses at the American Cemetery

Memorial at Utah beach

Chad and I at Gold Beach.

Memorial on the beach made out of a Nazi pillbox

The region of Normandy. Calvados is a strong apple brandy. Takes the chill away immediately so that is why it is so popular.

Flags at the memorial on Juno Beach

A window recounting the gratitude to those who liberated France.

Remains of the makeshift harbor built up by the British.

Blank Omaha beach.
I was struck by the hugeness of these beaches and the strategy of the day. There are some resorts but nothing in the scheme you would think of. They have really maintained the integrity of this area. Some beaches butt right up to wheat fields or pastures. Quite an amazing place. I don't think I have been in any other region and seen my home country's flag more. Who says the French hate everyone? Not at all true. A very moving trip to see where D-day took place and how it has forever left its mark on France and the world.
Up next Le Mont St. Michel without all the tourists (at first)
1 comment:
I wish that I was wearing a light jacket in the middle of July. Great photos!
Post a Comment