Last one but the best one. So way back, long ago a day before our trip to househunt in Paris, Chad and I had to go pick up our visas. We hit the French consulate right on time and walked right in. On the wall was a huge poster of Le Mont Saint Michel. I said immediately "going there!" We tacked it on the end of the Normandy trip since we figured we were in the area. As we drove in from the north, it appeared out of the misty bay. Could almost hear the angels singing...

We arrived shortly after 6 pm meaning the throngs of tourists, pilgrims and other visitors were heading home or back to Paris. Score! I had us booked at La Mere Poulard which is right at the front gate of the landmark. We hiked up the stairs to our rooms and then ran out to walk around a bit. The original abbaye was started in 708. Yes that is right, 1300 years ago. The island has a large outcropping of stone that they built around. The abbaye grew and the village grew around it. Pilgrims used to have to brave the tides and walk out on the flats when the tide was out. You prayed that the tide wouldn't come back until you were safely on the island. Many a pilgrim didn't make it as the tide comes in fast.

The next morning Chad and I braved the lines to see the inside. Well worth it! The cloister was amazing with its square and maze of arches. Just amazing.

I got up even earlier that morning to get some sunrise shots. This is with the fisheye lens. The sky was so cool with all the clouds. There were others up, I counted 2. Quiet and the parking lot was only full of cars for those savvy travelers like us who wanted to see the monument without the crowds.

Another early morning shot. Currently this is my wallpaper on my computer.

From our hotel room, this was our view. Of course you had to look straight up but there it was. A very nice hotel and worth the extra cost. I should have included a picture of the parking lot and line of cars, caravans and buses arriving the next morning. We got out of there as soon as we secured our purchases of copper cookware, salted butter caramels and other goodies.
3 comments:
I have but one word...awesome!
SO glad to know Mont St. Michel wasn't lit up for you either!!! We went out there and stayed until 11:15pm...waiting and waiting and waiting for the night time illumination that never came!!!
Early morning so I expected no lights. Conserving energy I guess?
Post a Comment