02 July 2009

Hot Concert recap

2 July 2009- Of course it was awesome. Dave Matthews was in a really good mood. I hadn't heard him speak so much during a concert since the Dave and Tim show of 1997. He spoke of Leroi, the excellent food in France and how hot it was. The Olympia is a small venue, just under 2000 people and like most places in Paris, not air-conditioned. The beer was cold but it didn't help much. I had my purse (a rarity for any concert attended in the States) and folded up a make shift fan out of the ticket receipt printout. Still not much help.
Going to a concert in France was interesting. I had a bottle of water in my purse, had my purse (usually unthinkable to take anything in) and was barely checked. I should have left the camera in as I saw plenty. I don't think I or the band has ever seen so many waistpacks, murses (male purse, all over Europe) or a fellow reading the newspaper during the break between the opening act and the headliner. Beer wasn't ridiculously priced at 7 euro, I think $12 for a large one for the May concert in Phoenix. And no tailgating before or after the concert as the metro was driving.

We sat next to some airmen from Frankfurt. They made a long weekend out of leave and decided to spend their Fourth of July as a Quatre de Juillet. They were fun as it was their first show for the whole band. We all got to witness the stellar Jeff Coffin. I love Leroi but Jeff is off the charts. He played one song jam with a slide and at one point had both an alto and tenor sax at the same time. Unreal. Even the American heros next to us had to give it up for such a skill set.

It hit 90 degrees yesterday and we rescued R2D2 from his box in the cave. He is set to give us some cold air and cold sheets in the bedroom. Nothing worse than trying to sleep on hot sheets. Even Junior has been sleeping out on the rug rather than in bed. Too hot for Mr. Kitty, too hot for everyone. Now I know I am from Arizona and lived for 2 summers in Houston, but AC was prevalent. Heck some of the buildings in Houston would sweat outside because they were kept so cold inside. I stalked around Picard (the frozen food store) on Monday. Might be back today.

Totally forgot about the most amazing thing yesterday. Chad got invited into one of our neighbor's apartment to see how we should be cooling off the place. I guess she can see our blinds are shut (thank god) and she was concerned we weren't getting airflow. Nothing about air flow and more about the physics of heat rising and we live on the 5th floor. But really, Chad got invited into a French apartment. Only had to live here 1.5 years for that happen!!! Other than minor exchanges in the hallway or elevator, our building is tres tres French. But we are trying, small moves...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha, so it is true (the 1.5 years for an invite, that is).