God has one more angel today. My grandmother Mary Stephanie Dorich passed away last night. She was the ripe age of 93. An age she never thought she would see, as she was convinced that she was never going to see any of her grandkids graduate high school. She saw all of us do accomplish that, 4 with college graduation, and her 3 great-grandchildren. She collected angels and I am sure God has added her to his collection.
She was very excited for me and Chad to have the opportunity to live in Paris. She wanted us to see and experience as much as possible. She was quite excited the first time I called her from France. Then of course in true Gramma fashion she balked at how much the call was costing. She told me to revel in this chance. I think I am doing a pretty good job. Too bad she died before our trip to Croatia. She would have loved hearing about the old country.
Some of the crazy things I remember: horrified reaction that I didn't say the rosary at least every week (true Catholic guilt as only a grandmother can do); I couldn't wear a black t-shirt because I had the chicken pox (what?); getting cards while in college with 10 dollars in them to go have a treat; teaching me the way to make povitica in June, in Phoenix; telling me that Chad was keeper after seeing his home and how that he cooked; refusing to drink coffee out a cup if it was not white; lecturing me on the proper way to slice zucchini to maximize dip adhesion; needing bread on the table because "Linda likes bread."; and about a hundred other things that make me laugh and cry. I am trying not to be sad, she led an incredible life. Her body was just worn out from all the living. Cheers to you Mary Stephanie (mostly because she hated the middle name Stephanie). Time for some rest.

No comments:
Post a Comment