24 April 2008

Spring is here!




24 April 2008- I think Spring has officially arrived. Outside temp broke the 65 mark, the flowers are out, and more important the lawn sitters are out. Huge plots of green grass covered in Parisians and visitors. When you are allowed on the grass, I guess the gardeners know the grass will continue to grow etc. Then spring is official for Paris. The trees at Luxembourg have filled in and it is even prettier. I know I took some early shots of Luxembourg but I can't find them. Now with all the chestnut trees fully coated in leaves, it is magical. I did some french homework outside there earlier this week. Toasty warm, full of fun and the garden is in full force.
I went out last night to experience the lighting of Place de Concorde and Champs Elysees. I cut through Tuileries garden as well. Tulips everywhere. And this giant spider sculpture even looks as though he belongs now. He looked a little lonely out in the middle of just grass. Some lovely strolling couple are my scale for how immense this sculpture is. I was in the garden when they were craning it in. Cool to think it is just perfectly balanced on its eight feet. The lights of Champs didn't really come out that well, no tripod. It was late too, about 915pm before they turned them on. It is really neat to experience that. All the street lamps get turned on at the same time. Then the old iron lady Eiffel gets her lights going. I had to wait until 10 until I got to see the sparkle light show. But the best part was walking around late at night without really being bothered. There are enough people still milling around, plus the fact I was near the prefecture of police were security enough.
My french teacher keeps asking when my visitors are coming. After seeing the costs of plane tickets, I know why. Holy crow. You can get some deals but when they add on the taxes and charges (sometimes 300 USD) the price gets out of control right quick. Oooh lala la.
Hooray, the gardienne received a package from IKEA. We have feet for the couch now. Yippee! Now I get to actually read Arabian nights rather than it propping up the couch. Ha ha.

No comments: