26 April 2008

Avant et Apres






28 April 2008- My before and after pictures are my example of what Paris (in particular Jardin des Plantes) in November when we first moved here to five months later. In November, the gardens were bare but still striking. Now of course, it is as if Bob Ross came down from heaven to make all the "happy little trees" green again. He added some color in the poppies and the giant roses. I mean I had tissue paper ones from arts and crafts fairs that were equivalent in size. Plate size easy. This is what I mean by beautiful gardens. They are within walking (or running distance if I get the urge), they are free and best of all, I only have to enjoy them. No weeding, planting, nurturing, trimming on my part. I tell you, this the way to have a garden. I am not at all missing yardwork duty. Although I would rather weed than iron any day of the week.
I saw it for the first time in Paris. Head, shoulders, knees and toes (knees and toes) of my fellow Parisians. I guess spring has really arrived now the french are wearing ball caps, tanks tops, shorts and flip flops. I thought we were under invasion by some rebel US faction but no, all speaking French. There was even a rush at the grocery store to buy sunblock. We were all out in force too. Sitting in the grass, eating, drinking and generally soaking in the sun. No I didn't see hairy legs or pits. By the amount of Veet and Nair that is available in Monoprix, I think the French women have started to wax.
Something bizarre was going on outside tonight. Lots of hoots and hollers. Then I heard a guy at the neighbor's door. Then he rings the Chez Nickell door bell. I answered and he asked to come hang out the window on the balcony. I told him no, strange man in my apartment late when my husband is not around, no I don't think so. He seemed okay with my answer and I later heard a loud of applause so someone in the building let him do it. And here I thought the French were reserved and respectful of one's home. Guess the times are a changing.
Chad is enjoying China especially the shopping. Bad idea to send an impulse shopper like Chad to a country full of cheap goods. He may not share blood with his step-mother Rose, but they both can't pass up a good deal. I just laugh. As a reformed impulse shopper, I recognize the warning signs and I am able to supress them. I guess we have been busy on our Saturdays and that leaves no time for shopping as the stores are closed on Sunday. And with my birthday next week, I know he is overdoing that shopping as well. I keep telling him all I want for my birthday is one dance on the Thames River Cruise I have booked. He laughs and shakes his head. I have my ways and I want one dance out of the guy. It is my birthday and I should get what I want! Maybe I will get him drunk, then he will dance. Revisit September posts regarding Vegas. He was grooving with his football pretty well. One dance!

No comments: