03 March 2008

Canapes? Pas aujourd'hui



3 March 2008- No couches. At least not today. I called Ikea and they were delivered to the delivery company on February 28. So I called the delivery company. They hadn't even scheduled a delivery for me. They are set for delivery on March 17th (luck of the Irish be with me). ARGH! Oh well just this week still sitting in a chair, then skiing, then home for a weekend. Party at our apartment if that really happens.
I did leave a message for an appointment and I left the right call back number since I got a call back. Small moves with this French thing. The secretary spoke perfect english so I could have left my message in english. Better for me to practice the french.
It was pouring rain this morning so I was a bit annoyed, especially after hearing no couches. Then at noon, the sky turned blue and the sun showed up. I quickly found a couple of parks to go wander and set off. Buttes Chamont is listed as one of the best places to kiss in Paris. It is set on a hillside and has a giant crag of a hillside with a gazebo for gazing out at the city. Or at least the 19th Arrondisement. Sacre Coeur is in the picture in the distance. The park was full of ducks, seagulls and a pair of geese. You never get that sound out of your head. Very nice with lots of grass, flowers and hills. There are 2 bridges out to the gazebo but one is under construction.
I heard all construction must be done by May 15. Then the scaffolds are not allowed to be out until October. We know who makes the decisions, the ministry of tourism!

Then I was set to venture down a ways to Park Belleville. Oops wrong turn on the street and I ended up where I started. But luckily for me I could also get there by hopping back on the metro to the next park. Park Belleville (according to my walks in Paris Cards) is actually 26 feet higher than Sacre Couer but it is not a 360 view. Still very impressive. I could make out all the large monuments and even see into the La Defense building group. Belleville is set on a hill but if you plan right, it is street level. It reminds me of Lombard Street in San Francisco but no cars allowed. Just a zig zag pattern of stairs and walkways down quite a ways. Little kids were playing with balls, old kids strolling around or sitting with a book. I think they were like me and thinking today would be gray, but surprise the sun and sky made an appearance.

No comments: