Our search for Chez Nickell got off to a rocky start. I booked us with a cheaper shuttle service from Charles De Gaulle. They were an hour late due to the "strike" of public transportation. More cars on the street, plus the final game of the World Rugby match. Our driver drove us in to town and then proceeded to switch drivers midway. The new driver had to be instructed on how to drive an automatic. Yikes. He made the first 3 stops with minimum problems. Then he needed Chad to help navigate and move the mirror. He got no tip. No Paris Blue Van from now on. We got to the little La Best Western in the 13th district (ChinaTown). Even though I haven't seen Rush Hour 3, it makes you do a bit of a double take to hear french coming out of a Chinese or Thai face.
I can tell you the French are a very generous people. We found lots of people, waiters, shop owners willing to speak english. The myth is not true, at least not this visit. I can tell you their english is way better than my french. Very nice, polite and I love the whole Monsieur/Madame thing. I feel a bit like a grown up. Chad and I vow to learn the language. We may never master it, but I would love to understand most of what is being said to me.
Chez Nickell is off to a good start. Literally. The relocation company is a good start in France. Mme DuPont drove us all around Paris looking at flats. We made our list (first choice may not always work out). Then she broke us the news that 85 percent of her clients choose the first flat. We are not the exception. Cross your fingers that one works out. It is the biggest one, It is very Parsian and yes, it will need a kitchen. They tell us not to worry about that minor detail (?). There is a very good italian restaurant down the street and it is close to the metro line and the Sorbonne. Ooh lala. We did a bit of the tourist thing on Sunday (Notre Dame, Arc, Eiffel). We have a bank account and we got Chad on the train to his new work location. We have mastered the Metro! Only once did we get on the wrong train. I wasn't paying attention and there was a common deck for 2 trains. I got to spend a good part of the day at the Rodin museum while Chad was at the office. Love the bronzes and the marbles. I have some good pictures but you will have to come see for yourselves. My next post will detail my lessons in French culture. Tip 1: The French love scarves, not a fashion thing, a cold thing. They are needed in this winter weather.

No comments:
Post a Comment