That is right. I am super bad, as a wife and totally in the best sense of that. Sent the boy off to grow me a beard and kill an elk. In the meantime, Back at the ranch I mean 3 story townhouse, I was armed with a list of things to improve around the house. I hopped to it right after work on Thursday. Project number 1, prep for painting.
Our house was hideous in purple, faux marble and seafoam so most of it was painted as soon as we closed. The third floor amazingly was not HGTVed by the previous owners and was left. The guest room and bath were done immediately thereafter due a paint switch up in that the owners didn't leave us the exact same shade to do touchups. So only the master bed and bath were left in the original paint colors. Until last week. Now my whole house is Nomadic Desert aka sand with a warmer pink note than the gray khaki. A bit boring but better for resale. Come on Paris, call again. We are so ready.
Best Buy helped me achieve my goal of shutting the built ins in the great room. With solid wood doors, IR repeaters do not help control your electronics. You must install glass or louvered doors. Ah a solution with the Logitech Harmony 900 universal remote. A chunk of change but still cheaper than reno-ing doors and having the ugly electronics visible to all. So awesome. You plug it into your computer, write down all the components' model numbers and voila. To turn on the TV, you simple aim at the TV and magically behind the closed doors, the remote signals the cable box on and receiver too. To watch a DVD (or Netflix), simply push the Watch a Dvd setup and everything powers up. So nice. A little bit of a delay but the doors are closed. Now I don't have to continually dust back there or shoo the Junior out of the wires. Logitech you are a saver!
Scraped the old gunky caulk out of the shower. I even acid washed as we have a small leak in the showerhead and it was causing a bit of mold and rust to pop out. I didn't pull the trigger on the caulk gun. I refuse to seal in anything so that will wait for Chad but most of the heavy lifting is done.
Big project of the week was refinishing a dresser. Honey pine and way too country for my taste. So it is chocolate brown with a gloss poly finish and what else but brushed nickel knobs. Lets see if Chad's keys can bust thru that 3rd coat of poly.
Chad gave me authority to buy new pot holders when I managed to burn myself twice in the span of 5 seconds on the oven. Kohls, Big Lots and Costco all pitched in. Nice shades of red and new cotton towels that actually sop up the mess. Why do the other ones just seem to push it around? I digress. Nice new kitchen accessories always makes you want to get in and cook something.
Trimmed the front rose bushes and blew the leaves out of the front door area. That lasted about 40 minutes clean then the wind picked up. Oh well. Love fall, hate the leaves.
I did well. I couldn't do any of this without one of the best inventions ever, the furniture slider. During my kidney infection sick week, I saw them used plenty on HGTV (I watch responsibly, unlike some people) and figured I could try. I still set up an out with neighbors to move furniture. But not needed. Those things work. Two full dressers and a queen bed with the pillowtop mattress moved like on wheels. I still needed my precious neighbors to manuever the giant TV but furniture movers and me worked like a champ. Highly recommend.
I also highly recommend Slo Dough bakery's ciabatta bread. Making my snack of parmesan cheese, honey and bread that much better. Try it, you won't be sorry.
So all told, I am leaving the caulk and a mishap with the GFI circuit (I don't know how to reset that one) for the bearded one. He is going to be impressed with his wifey.
Also attended the Nutcracker Market this week. That right Wifey needed a break from all this house stuff. So much fun. Good food is all I go for since I don't get overboard with the decorating or outrageous clothing. JW and I will offer an audio guide next year complete with all our catty comments and snarkiness. We did find some good food products from Colorado (I am biased, most things from CO are Nickel chrome) and found the discovery of the week. A french food company right under our noses in the Heights neighborhood. hitting that in a few weeks. I bet they get Slo Dough bakery baguettes too.
Better get my shoes on to get up to the airport and find me a Mountain man named Chad.
12 November 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment