02 October 2011

Road trip

 This weekend we road tripped to Austin for more than one meal and a turnaround.  Our friends from Seattle were in TX for a wedding so a good excuse to see them.  Madame is pregnant and we are doubtful to see them again until next summer-ish so had to take them in while still a couple.  Noah was squirming so we got to "see" him already.  Two months to go!
 As usual in all things Texas, it revolves around food.  We hit the South Congress food trucks and had to try the cupcakes.  Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting.  I didn't partake in the afternoon tasting but the evening we went back.  Standard yellow cake, chocolate frosting with sprinkle for me.  Yummy.
 More of So Co and its numerous food options.  Home Slice pizza made room next door for More Home Slice pizza.  Smelled good.  Lots of funky shopping options.  I only bought almonds and some divinity in honor of my mom.  It was delicious.
 The return of the grackles.   I tried to boost this picture so you can see how many black birds are actually in this tree.  Might have to click on it to get the full scope.  I am hoping they put the christmas lights on the trees in Houston.  That will be one creepy looking picture.  More bird than tree.
 Chad and I took in a coffee while waiting on a porch in rocking chairs (of course).  Told him I will need those on my dream retirement house.  With modifications for my shotgun to deter any trespassers.  You think I am kidding, no way.
We brunched the right way.  Holy crow.  Moonshine in Austin puts out a spread.  And everything was mini so you could fill your plate(s) and try a bit of everything.  Chipotle cream gravy over mini biscuits good, tamale and chorizo eggs, and mini bagels with salmon and dill spread very good.  Taught our friends to load up on the pricey items and then back fill with bread.  Buffet 0, Nickells 1.  Yummo.
 Again this is Texas so the next meal was planned as we pulled away from the capital.  BBQ from a gas station.  Oh yes, this is truly the way we roll down here.  Giant white bread and a to go container containing....
A texas sized baked potato covered in everything under the hot Texas sun.  This is Chad's meal.  I restrained and got the sausage and brisket meal.  Perfectly sauced and tender as all get out.  This Waller County Line BBQ is a huge hit.  I wish I could have carb loaded with my own potato or better yet, fudge/ brownie or mini pie but I had already hit the brunch buffet with both barrels.  Going to have to do lots of cardio this week for salvation but so worth it.
Busy week as National Night out is also Neighbor night so more eating.  Wednesday is SWAFS banquet at the Science museum.  And Saturday is the only Fest we are ever attending in Houston, Brenner's Beer Fest.  Hoping for more mini pretzels and good swag.

No comments: