Got into a bit of a discussion regarding travel and trips and food. All stemming from the Disney Cruise Line announcement that they are departing from Galveston starting in 2012. One person couldn't grasp my loathing. Not at all my type of vacation. While all things Disney are not evil in nature, the whole idea of you can just go to the theme park and give them all your money but now you can go on a captive theme park (aka a cruise ship) and get Disneyfied. My response to the interogator was "I would prefer to see a real Castle." I think my disdain for theme parks comes from my calculation that I have been to Sea World San Diego 10 times. I don't ever need to see Shamu again. We are good. Plus upon hearing how much it costs for the new Harry Potter adventure ($100 a head) although it looks cool, not my goal in spending money or time. I would prefer to spend $60 on a national parks pass and see things that you cannot see elsewhere. Yellowstone, Canyonlands, the Grand Canyon, Glacier Park, Harding Ice Field, all cool things that exist no where else. The castle in Disneyland is a copy of Neuschwanstein in Germany, real. Big Thunder Mountain railroad is at all Disney locations (that I know of). This is the same reason why I am so picky about chain restaurants as well. While Macaroni Grill is not evil (although they have posted their nutritional information, gulp holy sodium counts Batman) the one in Las Vegas tastes like the one in Phoenix, tastes like the one in West Des Moines IA. I have been there and done that. On to new places, interesting places that you can only get from one place.
I also don't pay for food that I can make in the comfort of my own home. I will gladly pay the sushi chef to masterfully add a ball of rice with wasabi to my magoro. I am never going to do this myself. Ditto for flautas. I will not ever order a grilled cheese unless it is from a certain greasy spoon diner in SF, CA. I do not, repeat, do not eat at Luby's. I can easily make this comfort food from my house and not pay an additional $1 for a roll. I was jokingly called BOUGIE as in bourgeoisie and I fully accept the term. I also accept YUPPIE as my definition. When the revolution comes, I will be okay. Chad and I have REI in our closet. How much more Yuppie can you get?
11 April 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment