7 October 2010- Ah, the simple things. With fall comes the return of the baked good. The oven can fire up and not cost me several KWH of power to cool the place down. So bust out the recipes acquired in the past, lets get to cooking and marketing.
Let me start at the end process. So I pony up with my reusable bags to my local super market. And somehow still getting the evil plastic ones. Hmmm... Now I usually shop with the small cart at the store or even the handbasket. And somehow I come out with way more than capacity in my brought bags. This must be stopped. The reusable bags are sturdy and can handle way more than 3 boxes of cereal. Load them up I say. (I have a super Specs bag that can carry 6 bottles of wine over the shoulder, it is sturdy) This annoys me to no end. Plus the bag out people are always thrown when I give them my bags. Now I will admit they rarely advertise that particular store (King Souper, Albertsons, Trader Joes, all those crazy West Coast shopping venues) but really? I could bag my own groceries and have. This causes problems as I enter the house, need to turn off the alarm, welcome the goose given by the dog and make it up the stairs (in one trip)to the kitchen. Is this just me?
Pie crusts and puff pastry that costs $4. What? for flour and butter (the squishy dude version is probably all trans fat shortening) and a splash of water. I could get these for cents in France. I think the generic puff or feuillete crust was 44 centimes. 44 cents versus $4. I guess I have to make my own and freeze it when I want it. Nothing like a steak and ale pie.
No leeks at the grocery store or produce market. None. Comment? Not even in the frozen section. Special tripping to Central Market or Whole Foods for these onion relatives. They are tasty, you should try them on potatoes with some olives and bit of soft cheese. Heavenly.
Bread. I am so missing the ladies at the corner of rue Claude Bernard and Berthollet. My gardienne's husband called it, he asked why I didn't have a suitcase full of broken in half baguettes to take home. Eternally sad face. 2 euro coin could get me sliced whole wheat with oats on top. The best toast ever! Now I do love the sourdough but even at Costco I have to buy two loaves. Need the freezer space for the pie dough.
Cheese. So spoiled with the cheese shops. And just picking out a small morceau not a huge shrinkwrapped section. Our favorite brie was from Monoprix and costs (gulp) 1E50. Even just a simple chevre will run you way more than that. I miss Trader Joes, please come to TX soon.
Chocolate. I have to buy Dove dark chocolate. What is another good super dark chocolate available at the store?
Meat, now the meat here is cheap. Amazingly cheap. No complaints here, until I try to find Saucisson de Toulouse for the best dish ever, cassoulet.
All this food talk has made me hungry. Might have to try the newly opened winebar resto for their duck salad. Get in my belly!
07 October 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment