09 September 2010

Obviously

9 September 2010- I sent away my passport to update the name and get rid of the creased picture that Continental airlines had major problems with. I included my marriage license as "proof." I got a nasty gram in the mail telling me I had done wrong. Actually no. The State of Texas doesn't issue a wedding certificate. They certify the back of the license. Imagine the employee's face when I told them "flip it over please". Dum dum dum dum dumb. After 2 minutes on hold, I got my apology and hung up. They had already cashed my check so I was ready for a fight.
We have the best pharmacy employees at our local CVS. I wasn't issued a RX card and they called to confirm all the insurance numbers and give me the full refund. Just a side note: my meds cost $13 in the US without insurance and less than 3 euro ($4.20) in France without insurance. Holy fix this system. Did I pay 200% more for the bottle instead of having to push thru the blister packs? I am missing something. Oh yeah, a reasonable healthcare system that emphasizes treatment for all, not just the covered. Sorry, my socialist slip is showing...
We are preparing Chez Nickell for its first official visitors. Chad's boss and friend from the La Defense office are heading this way to have meetings with Uncle AL US. We are hosting, saving the Uncle some money and showing these guys a good time, Texas style. I have rid the house of most of the crud (the office pictures from yesterday, first time since early May the couch has only had pillows on it) and we are now ready for guests. We have a full weekend, bowling with fellow returned expats and Sunday's home opener for the Houston Texans versus the Indy Colts.
Now for the saddest news. We aren't going to the Dave Matthews Band concert on Friday night. I pulled the trigger on this one. Just not interested in sitting in the lawn even for Dave. I did see them in London this year so I am trying not to be spoiled. I know, I know, but I have decided. Saving $100 by skipping this show plus the $40 for bottles of water. Heavy sigh but the right decision for September 9-10.

2 comments:

Laura S. said...

That passport story is great. I heart government employees and I can totally say that since I am one although I hope I am a little more on the ball.

phuong said...

I hear ya about the healthcare. Our United Healthcare up here (that is the only company we can purchase from through AL) is COMPLETE #*$&*$&#%. We have paid so much out of pocket. Now, I feel silly for complaining about filling out the reimbursement forms for 100% coverage! Send me back to paris now please!