18 September 2010

I was told there would be no math

18 September 2010- Still in my search for employment. I fully expect this to drag out a bit longer. Some weeks have been half-haphazard. But I am moving in the right direction. I took my application to a staffing company yesterday. They issued me a math test. Now I don't like math, but it makes complete sense and I am good at it. Even better no calculators allowed and no eraser on the pencil. Stress level good. I remember back in the day of working for admissions and telling new college age freshmen no calculators and watch them freak. amazing how tied we have gotten to these conveniences. Anyways, I did okay I know on this exam. I didn't finish but did fairly well. Your typical problem : A coated wire costs $0.70 for a yard. How much for 54 inches? See typical. BTW answer is $1.05. Show your work in the margin provided.
Our houseguests were astonished to hear such an exam was part of working. I explained that it shows several things. Math skills (rusty or not), stress (no electronic device of convenience), thought process, and time management. I think everyone should get a 20 minute math test every now and then. I recently showed a woman (in a shoe store of course) how to quickly figure out the cost of her 40% off shoes. These are skills needed. Since the gentleman who entered the staffing office after me threw a bit of a tantrum when given his test, I think I have a leg up in this economy. Bring it on.
Our house guests are leaving this afternoon. They are out shopping after our breakfast. In true American fashion, their goals for today shifted from running and packing to eating and shopping. Another couple of converts! No but they do appreciate the offerings of America: inexpensive clothing (Europe is tres cher), varied food choices, and the unbelieveable customer service. Nicely timed with me finishing my Bill Bryson book, the one upon his return to the USA. I have many of the same problems with my return and it is easy to speak to Europeans who have seen the way of life here. Bombarded with adverts, food, cars, convenience, this life is a struggle. Perhaps that is why I am always struggling with indecision, too much to choose from?
sorry to get so deep on a Saturday morning but again I am going the way of the intellectual. My latest book is "Committed: A skeptic makes peace with marriage." Very deep stuff as I consider the change in store (constant) in Chad and I's marriage. The author gets married to save her lover from deportation. I got married to get to another country. Of course that is not the only reason but the original reason for the push. I am already in love with this book and only 50 pages in. It feels as if I am having a conversation with a girlfriend and god knows i love those moments.
Round 2 for my mom. Keep her in your thoughts including the dubious neutropinia return. God bless the crazy previous home owner. She was an oncology nurse and I continue to get her magazines and journals. Exciting reads for a intrigued daughter of cancer patients. See good things even from bad or crazy.
I promise light and photos in next week's posts. Auf wiedersehen!

No comments: