SIDENOTE Hows that for the stinker of family names? We broke that tradition. It had to be stopped. but what a great way to screen out telephone calls. If they called him Mel or Melvin, he just hung up. They obviously didn't know him.

You must click on this picture to get the full screen effect. In full regalia. He was a Bud nut before the microbrew craze of the early 90's got him off the crappy Eau de St. Louis. We had curtains in our house, a room with bar mirrors and all things Budweiser. His mother made him these pants, tie and even some Ked type shoes with the fabric. It was his Christmas Eve tie and my mother was horrified someone would notice. I think it took 20 years and it was our neighbor and pew mate for many of those 20 years of mass to notice.

I think its funny that I only seem to have photos of my dad at church considering how un-religious he was. He was raised Southern Baptist but after college, he decided God good, religion bad. He gave in and signed the paper to raise us Catholic. Mostly French catholic now though, wink. He did love going to church activities especially the old folks group aka Harvest House. He did membership for several years and had a blast. More old fogies who like rock and roll.
You get a high chair. Nothing like one today with full restraints and ergonomic design but still a cool piece of furniture. Astounding to think that my dad and I were once that small to fit in such a chair. I am so glad I got it back in "working" order this weekend.
I am sure I could go on and on about him. He inspired me to do so much with my life and never show them how terrified you actually are. He gave me music appreciation of all types. I love Vivaldi, Dave Matthews Band, classic jazz. I am grateful for his stomach which means I can handle salsa more than pico de gallo unlike my mother. I got bored with all his stationed in Europe Air Force stories but catch myself sounding a lot like him when I say "this one time, when I lived in Paris..." He gave us all the joy of reading. No TV in our house until I was close to 5. He met the Beatles while skiing in Berchtesgaden. No idea who they were until he saw the movie HELP. He grew up with the Everly Brothers living next door. He could cook the best and prettiest pineapple upside down cake in a campfire. He had no rhythm unless he had drumsticks in his hands. When you said Bye, he said Sell. Took me years to figure out that pun. The master of punny-ness. And best of all, he would hold my mom's hand while they were watching tv. So cool. J'aime papa. Bon Voyage!
I wish I could go back to the years when everyone was getting married and having babies. This age when everyone's parents are dying and people are getting divorced is for the birds. I was the third (all things in threes) of friends who lost a parent this August amongst my friends. No more August, be gone!
"Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain..." Dave Matthews Band

No comments:
Post a Comment