20 May 2010

Thing I will miss from Paris, number 1

20 May 2010- Now I am just writing about things, not people or experiences that I am sure to miss. Thing number 1 that I am going to miss terribly is....RATP. Totally making this up Regional association transport des Paris. Something along those lines. Ugh, I will have to drive. In Houston no less. Ugh.
I am not a big fan of driving anyways but now that I know how inefficient it really is, so dreading that part of our return. You must drive in Houston. Must.
My previous job charged for parking so I looked into bus/train combination. I needed to leave my house 1 1/2 hours earlier. So much for saving the $50 parking charge, I would spend easily 30 hours commuting to a job for 40 hours a week.
Here in Paris, I am so spoiled. Not one, but two buses pass right by Chez Nickell. I can get to the river in 5 minutes. I can get to my hair dresser way over in the 16th in 35 minutes by using the metro. Every address in Paris is accompanied by the closest metro stop, usually within 500 m. Even when some poor Parisian throws themself on the tracks, you can get around it with excellent bus and metro service.
As a final note of how horrible traffic is in Houston. We lived 4 miles from head office. Chad's record commute was the night a tanker overturned on the Loop freeway. Clocked in at 1 hour 58 minutes. He could have ran home in 36 minutes. RATP, I will miss you the most!

No comments: