22 April 2010

Moveable Feast

22 April 2010- Ah, good old Hemingway and his Moveable Feast. No, I haven't read it. Currently pouring thru State of Denial Book 3 by Bob Woodward. Wow, Rumsfeld was a bit of micromanaging weirdo. I digress. Moveable Feast was allegedly written in my neighborhood. Ernest lived at 74 Cardinal Lemoine, not too far. Got me thinking of more lists. Things I eat regularly now that I never did before.
Kefta, lovely spiced lamb meatballs.
Duck, all forms. Parmentier, confit, breast with a honey sauce. Get in my belly!
Smoked mozzarella. Had this once in Italy as my main dish. Hum-in-a!
Smoked salmon. started this one in Alaska. BTW, the lower 48 gets the pink salmon also known in Alaska as CAT FOOD. Silver, king, or Norwiegan please!
Pitas with feta cheese. Did you know you are supposed to cook the pitas in olive oil and then slice them up with the cheese. Thank you Greece. My standby appetizer when we are really hungry.
Falafel. Mostly from the opposite L'As. Like a pound of veggies in there.
Tomato mozzarella. My sis and I had a coupon once for Macaroni Grill. Got the Caprese and haven't looked back since. Mozzarella in brine is 65 centimes at my grocery store. Regular item on the Nickell menu.
Tarts and quiches. Veggie especially. Had an excellent Provencal one, forgot where. So good. Still can't get my quiches real thick without using 12 eggs.
Eggs. Now more whites. Got to be heart smart! I go thru about 30 in two weeks. No one can eat 50 eggs...
Tagine. Turkish/Morrocan, good eats. Veggie, lamb, chicken. Full of flavor!
Cous cous to go with tagine. Cooks in 5 minutes, who could ask for more?
Pears. I used to only eat the Harry & David variety. Now I know.
Olives. I am going to be that woman at the Olive bar at Kroger. Best ones are violet.
Cheeks. Fish, beef, you name the creature and I will eat his face. Watch the "first" Hannibal movie. Cheeks taste good.
Fresh parmesan. Never going back to the green can. Will sell plasma to get this.
Fresh anything. Garlic, onion, parsley. go fresh if you can. You won't go back.
Chevre chaud salade. Goat cheese broiled on toast and put on salad. A standard for any French cafe so always my standby order.
Carpaccio (salmon or beef). Very good. Rare indeed. but not to be confused with tartare. That is just nasty.
Turkey. I make my own turkey hache (ground turkey) and make burgers, chili, meatballs whatever. even the ground beef in France is lousy.
Veggies. Always had a love for the green ones. Now I make sure to have some everyday.
Dessert. Who knew that your meal is not done until you have a bit of sweet? The French. Sandwich combos come with dessert here, No chips. Bring on the dessert!

Now my list of things eaten and forgotten. As Chad says, "if it tasted as good as chocolate, maybe I would eat more." Foie gras and oysters. Just not that good. I can eat them but prefer something else.

One last list for food. My list of undesired foods.
Mustard is the prime offender. Yuck. Hate it, hate it, hate it. I can detect parts per billion. I will not eat it. You cannot make me.
Oatmeal. For you Mom. Again, I will do anything else than eat this.
Banana. In bread, great. Any other way, not so much. I would make a horrible Monkey.
Mushrooms, totally a texture thing. I will pick out the tiniest portion. I can get them down on pizza or in sauces but prefer to just order something else.
Cherries. Two on a sundae or in my shirley temple. My limit. I forced down some black forest cake once to not offend. I really have to like you to do that.
Rye bread. Just can't take the taste at all.
Raisins. These are further down the list. I can eat them but I will never eat a bowl of raisin bran. Trail mix, I still pick around. Golden ones are good in tagine or my favorite bresola sandwich from the corner.
Tibetan food. Made that mistake once. Chad had gray soup. I don't know what I ate, just know I won't do that again.
Organ meat. I am no peasant. Kidneys, livers, tripes and innards in general not a fave.
I am sure Chad would call me on more. His no eats are only raw onion and melon. Anything else, he will eat. Makes for a very relaxing cooking and dining experience when your man is guaranteed to eat what you cook him.
Off to eat. What to have?

No comments: