26 October 2009

What a day

26 October 2009- Monday, monday. Can't trust that day. Ain't that the truth?
I still have the cough. Sound horrible too. But I smile after hacking. Really have quite the abs now with my 2 weeks of "core workout." Absolutely convinced that my antibiotics are placebos. That is why they were so cheap.
Cleaned my house. Yes I am that obsessive and scientific that I have a schedule and Monday is cleaning day. Change the catbox, sheets, towels and bust out my lovely assortment of cleansers from Madame Duncan. Typical Monday activity. I know I know but schedules make me happy!
Then this girl was long due for some retail therapy. I have been very good, knowing that our last year is upon us (sadface) I have been especially good. We need quite the fund to export to the US needing 2 cars and house with appliances to pay for. We are also in the need for two new mountain bikes. And knowing Chad, they will be "awesome."
I got the Christmas catalog for my favorite, IKEA. That is right TAG, you started this habit for Swedish goods. I got on the train with my latest book "Runs with scissors" (not for the light of heart but funny). A lovely walk among the colored leaves to the commerical centre. I loaded up the rolly cart right! Needed replacement bedding (sick cat with typical cat reflex), as always candle accessories, and all things gnome as advertised in the catalog. Boarded the train for the return trip. I was two stops in so way into the book by this time. Then all hell breaks loose!
Screaming girls, a bad smell and a frantic "Descendez, descendez" (Get off, get off for the French illiterate). I got up and started throwing my recent purchases on the platform. This includes my rolly cart with candle holders and red wine balloons. I was almost clocked by the rushing SNCF (french rail) police and the accompanying officer with the German shepherd. Someone was detained, the pepper spray (?) hung in the air as this of course was the one underground station on this line from the airport. I never did hear much else over the PA system. Just the distinctive reaction from the people once the order to re-board the train after some french mumbling.
Back on the train, tensions were high. Most people avoided the peppery-smelly front cars of the train. It was interesting to note that at every stop back to Paris, conductors were present on the platform. At Gare du Nord, the heavy hitters with automatic machine guns were on patrol. As my friend Madame Reinhart's husband pointed out, never mess with them; you will die. Made it home with no problems. A quick call to Chad to reassure that I was alright, and two beers (with the anti-biotics-maybe this is why they stopped working?) to calm down the nerves.
This marks my second time at being exposed to pepperspray. First time was Christmas eve mass. Of course my sister and her friend started coughing during "Joy to the World". We all know what a cough signifies in church: a covered laugh. A couple dirty looks later, the spray made its way through the crowd (right of the altar) and we were all coughing. A young co-ed had her pepperspray keychain and it inadvertently went off.
Time to not talk as the talking making the cough worse. Lovely. Glass products fully intact by the way! J'adore IKEA.

1 comment:

Linda Alyce said...

And they are now repaving my street. I am destined not to breath comfortably for a while!