01 June 2009

Real life returned

1 June 2009- So scary to hear about a missing plane on the day I put my folks on one to return to the USA. My heart goes out to those with questions unanswered. Catastrophe!
My parents' visit to Paris was a bit of a success. I got them to walk, rather easy though since the other option is to not see things as we do not own a car. We did ride the Metro but with all the stairs, a bit to avoid. Bus was king! I must say the french (at least the ones on the bus) were always so nice. I cannot recall a time when someone didn't offer up their seat for either of my parents. So Merci, vous etes tres gentil.



We managed to check most items off the TO SEE list. One glaring thing missed was the Eiffel Tower sparkling on the hour. Since it is truly summer here, the sun doesn't go down until 10pm. Since all the walking and maybe okay most likely some wine with lunch, the folks were usually in bed by 1030pm. Oh well, next time they will have to come in winter time when the sparkles happen earlier.


We managed to hang out at the Contrascarpe and have Amorino gelato. A bit of sun and walking does the body good. I know both lost some weight during their vacation and this was with dessert most nights. Come to Paris to stay at Chez Nickell and enjoy the same "diet." And not to leave it out, we got serenaded on the train to the airport with (you guessed it) "Besame mucho" on the accordion. I hope that ended their trip on a happy silly note.
I have a wicked cold now, timed it just right to get sick as the parents were packing. I did teary eye hug the folks as they got to secured entry at Charles de Gaulle. I made my way back to the train. Got re-serenaded again with "Besame mucho" and then sleepy time until Gare du Nord. I made it home and slept away most of the day. Still I managed to get some laundry done. Chad "enjoyed" his Pentecost holiday (yet another French holiday) with making me grilled cheese and restoring the house to accomodate just us and the cat.
With all the holidays in France this month and entertaining my folks for 2 weeks, I do decree it is time for another holiday. We head this Friday to Split, Croatia to catch up with a vintage sailing boat for a week trip of snorkeling, photo taking, and relaxing. Don't worry about us, we have giant amounts of sunscreen and full Ipods. We are doing our best to use up any and all disposable income, giant allowances of French vacation days and all blue sticker dots for our European map of destinations.

1 comment:

Laura S. said...

Sounds like a great time was had with the parents and what a way to send them off being serenaded with "Besame Mucho" on the way to the airport. Don't get sick and have a great time in Croatia.