20 April 2009

Voyage continued

20 April 2009- I just had my first french lesson in several months, didn't do too bad but now my brain will only work in English. Pardon the lack of inventive Italian phrases for the title.
Back to the trip: We drove along the autostrada to the city of Genoa/Genova. Why is it so many cities change names based on the language? I guess that is another discussion all together. We arrived in Genoa just about sunset. I had us booked at hotel a bit away from the city center because I had read/seen that Genoa is a bit rough at night. Plus we needed a place to park the car. A safe place. Italy is great, all the hotels have signs telling you how to get there. Of course I didn't see our hotel's sign until we were navigating back from dinner. At the old harbor of Genoa, I had my first official Italian gelato. I think it was baccio, one of my standby flavors. So good but better yet, so cheap. 1E50 a piece. I think I am going to like this Italy place.
Another thing about Italy or at least the hotels I booked, breakfast was included. This is just your standard continental fare but it came with a good cappuccino. In France, they gouge you with 12E for juice, coffee, bread and jam. Vraiment (really!).
We headed for the Cinque Terre the next morning on our way to Pisa. The Cinque Terre or Five lands are just that. Little niches in the coastline with 5 little villages. Thing is you can only reach one by car. Then you have to walk/trek or boat to the next one. We had to park way up the hill to get to Monterosso. Several others were treking on the trails, tending the lemons, and just enjoying the Easter weekend. I overheard an english speaking tour guide talk about the 14th century church decor so these have been there for a long time. Quite nice that you cannot navigate easily between them. If the weather had been clearer, my pictures of the other villages would have turned out great. Not to worry! We have decided that we shall return to the Cinque Terre to hike to them all. Best part, no camping out so I only have to hike with clothes and camera in my pack. And get a italian cappuccino in the morning to start me out. Next year around Easter time again, if anyone is interested. Adding on Rome and the Vatican to that trip.
Windy roads made for small cars and standard transmissions were the local roads at this point. We realized the necessity of the moped/truck invention. We kept seeing them along the road. This way you get the turning radius of a bike with your load of wood, groceries, etc. We even saw a house perched on a hill and along the road underneath it was a train track that had a chair and wagon set up on it. That house was right up on a steep incline and the gears of a moped would burn up. Inventive little places and still very quaint.
We also realized why the autostrada had tolls associated with it. I have never seen so many tunnels or spansive bridges in my life. Beautiful roads too, so the tolls are going to a good cause, nary a pot hole to be found. And like in California, a pullout and Call box every 2 km or so.
The GPS was worth its weight in gold. Chad had downloaded some music on it which came in handy since the tunnels made for some poor radio reception. Before the turnoff for Monterosso, we were listening to the intro to SEXY BACK by Justin Timberlake. Got the song in your head? Finger snaps and then a voice that says "You ready" "RIGHT TURN AHEAD". Quite funny that the GPS and JT were so coordinated. Chad laughed and said that the only thing funnier could have been "You ready" "UP AHEAD SEXY IS BACK." Might have to been there for that one.
Back on the autostrada to the town of Lucca. Lucca still maintains their last fortification wall around the city center. It is huge, you can rent bikes and ride around. We made it just in time for lunch and then of course gelato. I swear gelato can be found on every street in Lucca. We wandered around, had some wine, and took pictures of the Tuscan region in the background. This is from the bell tower, or at least one of the bell towers. Very easy to see why people chuck it all and stay forever in Tuscany. However, we didn't have that luxury.
We powered on to Pisa, a short distance away. Oh my goodness, the crowds. Our hotel and more importantly our parking space was on the southern side of the city center. Got in, dropped the car and walked around. Intricate brick work, amazing architecture and the best weather you can imagine combined for a great introduction to the city. From the back way, no crowds. We got to the Tower when the last rounds of trains and buses leave the city carrying the tourists away. The whole way in from the road is nothing but tourist traps, crap stores, and the sunglass salesmen.
And voila, my own documentation of having been there. It made my head hurt to think that this tower started construction in 1173. Quite amazing to be in such an old place. We quickly took our pictures during the straining light and I wanted to return at night. The Frommers guide for Italy had an amazing night picture of the church and tower and I wanted to try my hand at it. We found a great apero bar. I guess the correct term is apertivo, pre-drinks and snacks in the USA known as Happy hour. Bazeel offered 4E pints of German beer and unlimited snacks like salads, pizza, and some pasta. Golden opportunity to burn the rest of the daylight so I could try some night photos.

A bit different from the published picture but they cheated. They also had green lighting so it must have been pre-restoration anyways. Eerily quiet here at this time. Just a handful of us visitors or stragglers. We took our hotel reception's suggestion for dinner and enjoyed our pizza and dessert. Got to be up early for our Easter Sunday journey to Florence.

2 comments:

phuong said...

I thought you could get to Cinque Terra without a car? We got there by train and never rented a car? Has it changed now?

Linda Alyce said...

Monterosso is the only one "reachable" by car. Parking for us was 2km away, so "reachable" YES.