18 June 2008

Tourist or visitor

After my weekend of playing tourist, I decided to play visitor today. There is a distinct difference by the way.

Interesting math I saw scrawled on a wall. Hard to do but the French do it pretty well. And you thought Russians had the market. Check out the label on Grey Goose, a product of France. The dividing by anarchy might be rough...

Out and about today. I came across the vineyard within Paris proper. The. Yes only one still exists. At least 4 people tending to it today. I can't imagine much wine is produced. I think it is just a beaujolais so good, quick and cheap.

I went to Montmartre today. The back way. Along all the less traveled stairs. Whoa, there are still a lot but about 10 people along the way rather than the front side with about a thousand tourists and visitors and 10 performers. It is a rather striking picture. The area was just crawling with tourists. Lots of shouting in English. Annoying people haggling for their picture. The visitors are much quieter. They politely approach and ask questions. Yes I still have the ASK ME tattoo stil on my forehead. In at least three languages, I got asked for directions. I guess I walk with a purpose. I also continued my job of helping ladies. The building doors in Paris are massive and this tiny skinny French woman was trying to balance an armfull of packages, keys, purse while fighting this door. Vous etes tres gentil is my name, you are very nice.


I ended my little walk thru the village by cruising by the Paris residence/studio of Pablo Picasso. Since this month's free Sunday was spent at his museum, it was only fitting to see where the art was created/stored. I finished my day windowshopping at TATI. It is a cheap place to shop and they carry everything. Kind of crazy on a Wednesday as the French kids are off today. And they and their moms were out at TATI too.

No comments: