12 June 2008- Tuesday was another rail strike. Not affected because Chad took THALYS, the Belgium company. I saw the strikers or manifestation as it is called in France. Tuesday was gorgeous and these people took it for a social day. Yes they were walking and chanting carrying signs. But they were also stopping in the grocery store for wine and beer. Stopping at cafes for a little snack or coffee. I think someone looked at the weather report and decided, Tuesday is the day for our social party. It reminded me of when the DBacks won the World Series. Everyone is friendly, yelling and clapping. I tell you it must have been the weather because the manifestations of the winter have flares and a Lord of the Flies attitude. This could have been the Parrothead crowd letting out of Jimmy Buffett concert.
Yesterday I did an impromptu walk through the islands and up to Bastille (or where it used to be). Had my jambon and gruyere sandwich amongst the trees of the park behind Notre Dame. Listened to the brass band down on the quai of the river. Did a compulsory walk into the cathedral for a quick offering and prayer. I strolled over to Ile St. Louis for some gandering at the stores and a scoop of Berthillion ice cream. Cafe flavor and so yummy. It was amazing, last time with Chad, this place was crazy with a wall of tourists. Not so much on a Wednesday afternoon, I only had to wait for a woman to pay before getting my own scoop of tasty goodness. I did find the remnants of the Bastille along the way to the Place de Bastille. I got seranaded at the bus stop by three old ladies. They spoke perfect english, which seriously throws a curve at the "need someone to translate, find a young kid." We all boarded the bus but I rode to St. Sulpice. There is an antiques fair in front of the church until July. I looked around, big prices for some good stuff, big prices for some not so good stuff. I saw a pair of hooks for coats fashioned out of hooves. Not sure what the animal was but seriously a hoof in the bent position ready to accept your coat or purse strap. I think I will pass. I entered the church "as seen in the DaVinci code." An amazing church with Delacroix paintings in the corner. And near the brass line and St. Peter statue, a whole explanation of the wrong-ness of the Da Vinci code. Made me smile to see postings and explanations of why the book and its theories are wrong in a church. Of course plenty of people still in there pointing out the places and events.
This weekend we are off to Brugge (Bruges or a half dozen other ways to spell it) Belgium. Chad really liked Belgium beers and we have been meaning to get out of the city for some time now. Last minute bookings were still cheap and on Saturday in 2 1/2 hours time, we will be eating chocolates, waffles and sipping strong beers. Hopefully we will get to see some French countryside but not until September. It was impossible to find lodging at places in Champagne, Dijon and don't even think about Normandy. Off to a cafe to read Voltaire and watch the tourists go by.
12 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment