07 February 2008

Il fait beau




7 February 2008- The weather has been fantastic, the title is pronounced ILL FAY BO, so I ventured out for a day at the cemetery. Kind of morbid but it is Pere Lechaise, home to all the who's who at least the dead ones. Jim Morrison, most of the Rothchilds, Pisarro, Corot, Maria Callas, Claude Bernard (the guy our street is named for), and many more. I didn't get the map until late. I hear the best one is sold at the newstand outside. The graves vary from huge blank slabs of white granite to ornate crypts to barely marked to pictures, etc. The most decorated spot was this lovely one of Chopin. The creatorium gave me the creeps and they were interring someone so I didn't hang out too long there. It is built on a hillside and there are great avenues to walk, benches to sit and trees. The creepiest part was the birds. No swarms of grackles like what Houston has (at least at the corner of Alabama and Kirby, seriously 10, 000 birds there), and no pigeons. Only Ravens! Huge frying size birds with that gravely KAW. Very creepy. But on such a nice day and with all the tourists at Jim Morrisons grave, nothing too bad was going to happen.

No comments: