10 January 2008

Walking tour of Paris




10 January 2008- One of the wedding presents we received was City Walks: Paris of 50 walks through the city. I chose the ones closest to home first, obvious to see what is closest to home. Turns out there is another Roman ruin of a Arena just down the street. Pretty cool. Now of course it is a park, lots of old guys playing bocce and certainly not 10,000 people watching.
St Julien le Pauvre is a church site from the again Roman times. A couple of cedar trees are massive in the park. One has a placard saying that the tree was planted in 1602. Fifth arrondissement is well done. We chose wisely.
Today I walked through a part of the 6th. More skinny little ancient streets and a restaurant that dates back to 1686. Then I found our lovely street vendor with crepes and hot wine. I had already eaten but the hot wine beckons. I toured the St Germain Des Pres church. A church has always been on this site since 570 or so. Again, pretty awesome. Only some walls remain of the original structure.
I got a cryptic message today from my French teacher. she left the whole message in French. Isn't that mean? Or is this my first test? If I can understand the message, she knows where to start the lessons at.
The best part of this city is it all changes at night. Same things just different lighting. Bon soir!

No comments: